This month’s Crazy Cooking Challenge is Grilled Cheese. How could I resist when cheese is one of my favorite foods.
April was National Grilled Cheese Month (who knew?) so there were quite a few grilled cheese posts in blogsphere. The one sandwich that caught my interest was from Lana at Lana’s Cooking.
Lana’s pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich looked delicious. I had no doubt that everyone would luv this grilled cheese sandwich, but I didn’t have pepperoni and I needed to make lunch pronto.
Using Lana’s ‘pizza’ style grilled cheese sandwich as my inspiration I decided to make a white pizza with spinach grilled cheese sandwich since all I had in the fridge was fresh baby spinach, leftover ricotta, mozzarella and half a loaf of Italian bread.
My white pizza with spinach grilled cheese sandwich is a take on the ‘white pizza’ that is made in many pizzeria’s, especially in NY and NJ. The white pizza has no red sauce on it, only ricotta cheese and a little mozzarella on it and some pizzeria’s will add a variety of toppings of your choice if you ask.
This sandwich was so delicious I hope you give it a try.
White Pizza With Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices of Italian bread
- 16 slices of fresh spinach leaves
- 8 slices of mozzarella
- 2/3 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- grated parmigiano reggiano (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil for drizzle on bread
- Heat up your grill pan.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on one side of the bread slices.
- Assemble the sandwich placing a slice of mozzarella, spinach leaves, and top with ricotta. Sprinkle a little grated cheese if using, and add salt and pepper.
- Top the sandwich with another slice of bread with the olive oil side facing you.
- Add a little butter to the grill pan to melt.
- Place the sandwiches on the grill and grill on one side.
- Turn over when lightly toasted and continue to cook until lightly toasted. If the sandwiches toast too fast and the cheese does not melt cover them for a minute or two. This will help melt the cheese quickly.