I made spelt pancakes first and when grampy said they were ‘good’ I then made both chocolate cookies and chocolate chip cookies. I have to say no one noticed there was a difference, including the boys.
Many of you may be familiar with spelt flour and may even use it, but if you haven’t heard of spelt, it’s an ancient cereal grain in the wheat family, and has been cultivated for centuries in both the middle east and Europe.
Some Spelt facts:
- Spelt has a tougher outer husk than wheat which protects the grain preserving the nutrients and flavors.
- The tougher husk also protects the grain from pests/infestations which makes it easier to grow without the use of pesticides.
- Is more water-soluble than wheat flour
- Has fewer calories than wheat flour
- Has more protein than wheat flour
- Has less fiber than wheat flour but said to be easier to digest
- A good source of vitamin B2, manganese, niacin, copper, phosphorus & protein
- It is NOT gluten-free
- Comes in both white flour or whole wheat varieties
My Spelt Breakfast Muffin recipe is really easy and the muffins are ready in less than 35 minutes from start to finish.
Spelt Breakfast Muffins
Spelt Breakfast Muffins is a very easy recipe. You can prep and bake the muffins to serve for breakfast in less than 35 minutes from start to finish.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 7-9 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: 14-18 muffins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 TBLS. corn starch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 TBLS. plain yogurt (greek, regular, non-fat)
- 1 TBLS. applesauce
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TBLS. avocado oil (or any light vegetable oil)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (or your sweetener of choice)
- Lakanto’s Monk Fruit Confectioner’s Sugar for dusting
- Marmalade or fruit preserves for spreading on muffins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees & spray mini muffin pan with non-stick spray. Yields about 14 to 18 mini muffins.
- Sift dry ingredients in medium size bowl and set aside.
- In small bowl whisk together the egg, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, and oil until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and stir well just till combined.
- Fill the muffin cups only halfway with batter, approx. 1-1 1/2 TBLS. of batter as the muffins will rise.
- Bake 7-8 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: Mini breakfast muffins, easy recipe, spelt flour recipe
- You can leave the muffins plain and spread with butter, marmalade or your favorite fruit preserves.
- OR Cover them in powdered sugar — add 1/2 cup Monk Fruit confectioner’s sugar to a gallon size plastic bag; drop in the warm muffins and gently shake bag to coat the muffins with the sugar. Just like your favorite donut shop muffins.