An easy side salad you can make anytime of year. Cabbage Apple Slaw is a terrific salad for game day, summer BBQ’d burgers or add to the buffet when serving a crowd.
Cabbage Apple Slaw
Many of the recipes I make can be made for any for any season. It just depends on what someone feels like having. We will then put together a couple of recipes that compliment each other.
Cabbage Apple Slaw is one of those recipes you can make anytime. It’s a great side salad to add to a buffet if you are having a party. Or make it for a side dish on any weeknight.
If it happens to be football season I’m looking for side dishes to add to the buffet table. The crowd gets feisty if they don’t get ‘fast foods’.
Yeah, like I’m gonna’ give ’em fast food . . . although this recipe can be considered fast food since it takes less than 20 minutes to make — or even less time if you use packaged shredded cabbage.
Not only is this a ‘fast food’ but you can add spices and flavors to fit your crowd. Make it spicy or even sweeter than the recipe calls for. Or leave out the sweet and make it tangy — it’s up to you.
This is a vegetarian side dish and it can be gluten free if you use gluten free condiments.
Add this cabbage apple slaw to any Sunday football buffet or tailgate party. You can make it a day in advance which can definitely be a help when you have a lot of things to do on game day.Print
Cabbage Apple Slaw
An easy to make Fresh Cabbage Apple Slaw to serve as a side dish any time. Delicious to add to grilled burgers and on game day. A ‘make in advance’ recipe. This is also vegetarian, and gluten free – be sure you check your ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: none
- Total Time: 60 min. chill time
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 or 2 Granny Smith Apple peeled & shredded or julienned (or choose your favorite style)
- 2 pkgs. shredded cabbage or 1 large fresh cabbage shredded
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 TBLS. honey (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1 1/2 TBLS. lemon juice
- 1 -2 TBLS. apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TBLS. chopped fresh dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a separate bowl add the dressing ingredients and mix well until blended. Taste and adjust seasonings according to taste.
- Julienne or shred the apples and cabbage if you are not buying the package of shredded cabbage. Add the shredded items to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss until the dressing is well blended with the cabbage and apple.
- Add the parsley and/or dill and gently stir until well mixed.
- You can make this a day in advance and keep covered in the fridge. Stir well when ready to serve.
Keywords: cole slaw, cabbage apple slaw, salad, summer salad, easy recipe
This cabbage apple slaw is a healthy recipe. Red cabbage and apples are considered ‘good for you’. They are real and raw farm fresh ingredients. Please, let’s keep it on the q.t. and not let the secret out or someone might decide they do not like crunchy salads.
I added a squeeze of lemon to the sliced apples to keep them from turning brown.
This recipe makes a large bowl of slaw. I used only one small head of red cabbage (which is what grampy brought home) and 1 large apple and it made about 5 cups.