Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce is a delicious topping for your fall desserts. It’s even delicious drizzled over ice cream in the summer.
1. Add sugar and water to medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Shake and rotate pan until the sugar and water have blended. Shake every 25-30 seconds or two until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Continue to cook over medium/low heat while the sugar cooks. Shake the pan occasionally to distribute the hot sugar evenly in the pan to prevent burning. *You will notice the sugar changing color from clear to amber color.
3. When sugar is amber color immediately remove from heat and slowly add the cream. Whisk briskly while adding cream to prevent boil-over.
4. Immediately put pan back on the heat and whisk in 1 tablespoon of butter at a time.
5. Keep whisking the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Then add in 1 teaspoon of salt and stir.
6. Pour the mixture into a jar or pitcher and let cool. It will take quite a while to cool down and begin to thicken.
7. When the caramel sauce has cooled, taste for desired level of saltiness. If you prefer more salt you can add it and microwave it for a few seconds to get the salt incorporated into the sauce.
Making caramel sauce takes a bit of technique just because the sugar can quickly burn. It’s definitely worth a try if you enjoy cooking from scratch. In case you are wondering, yes, I’ve made this many times and we really enjoy it on ice cream.
Keywords: homemade caramel sauce, DIY Homemade Caramel sauce, ice cream topping, DIY Holiday Food Gift