Sugar Cookies are so easy to make and they are a blank canvas to make unique Christmas Cookies. Easy and Versatility in a recipe – That’s all we really want for Christmas!
I’ve been making this recipe for many years. Way back when my girls were teens, I bought a holiday potholder that had a snowflake cookie cutter attached and on the potholder was a ‘Snowflake Cookie Recipe’. That year I made the recipe which everyone loved and it has been a recipe we now make all year long.
When the kids keep asking for ‘those cookies with the sprinkles’ then you know a recipe is good. I couldn’t find my snowflake cookie cutter so I just used a plain round biscuit cutter. I think I left my snowflake at my daughter’s when I was making cookies with the boys.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Sugar Cookie Icing
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp. milk
- 2 tsp. light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (or your preferred flavor)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Gradually add in flour to the sugar mixture until smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼-inch and use your favorite cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Add sugar sprinkles to the cookies and bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are very lightly browned. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet and then continue to cool on wire rack.
- If you don’t want to use sprinkles you can bake them plain and then decorate them using sugar icing.
The sugar cookie is the perfect, go-to, easy cookie recipe for any occasion.