Heart Healthy Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes are on the menu any weekend and also in honor of National Pancake Day.
When I was looking for a recipe I realized that I would need to use whole wheat flour. Since grampy has been on a strict no white flour, low carb/starch diet, I thought the whole wheat flour would be better. Then my daughter suggested adding spelt flour . . . yes, why not?
I made this heart healthy blueberry whole wheat pancakes recipe adding in the spelt flour as well as whole wheat flour. My inspiration for this heart healthy pancake recipe is from a recipe I found on phillyburbs.com. It was a basic recipe but I made a couple of changes to fit in with this new ‘diet’ which we are trying to work into our daily meals. A bit of a change, but I’ll take it slow and we’ll see what happens!
This recipe calls for milk and vinegar – I figured the ‘sour’ milk took the place of buttermilk which I had in the fridge so I used the buttermilk and eliminated the milk and vinegar. It worked, the pancakes were tender and light. I also try not to use refined white sugar so I used granulated Monk fruit in its place.
I’ve also made this delicious breakfast wrap which is very flexible. You can add in your family favorite ingredients for a take and go ‘pinch of healthy’ breakfast wrap.Print
Heart Healthy Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes
Heart Healthy Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes is a recipe that was adapted from a whole wheat pancake recipe I found on phillyburbs.com. I used whole wheat flour and spelt flour, has no refined sugar, and substituted honey in place of commercial pancake syrup.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Cook Time: 13-15 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup milk (low fat)* (see below)
- 2 1/2 TBLS white vinegar* (see below)
- *1 cup Buttermilk (which I used in place of the low fat milk & white vinegar)
- 3 tbls. granulated Monk Fruit
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used half whole wheat flour and half spelt flour)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- drizzle with honey (optional)
- plain Greek yogurt for topping (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl if using the milk/vinegar combo combine the milk with the white vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”. Otherwise add the buttermilk to a medium mixing bowl. Then add the egg and vanilla and whisk to combine. I then added the 3 tbls. of granulated Monk Fruit and mixed it well.
- In a separate large bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until smooth. The batter should be the consistency of regular pancake batter. If the batter is too thick add additional milk. Whole wheat flour needs more moisture.
- Heat a griddle pan or large skillet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of batter on pan, when bubbles begin to form add blueberries. When batter is fully bubbled and ready to turn, flip over and cook until lightly browned.
- Serve with fresh berries, chopped nuts, drizzle with honey, and a dollop of yogurt.
Keywords: Healthy pancakes, honey, whole wheat flour, no refined sugar, pancakes
In keeping with the heart healthy theme for the delicious heart healthy blueberry whole wheat pancakes, I used honey in place of the syrup and also decided that a dollop of low fat Greek yogurt on top would make these pancakes irresistible.
This is a very easy pancake recipe with a few basic changes to make delicious pancakes with a ‘pinch of healthy’ for family brunch, or any breakfast or lunch.
*Recipe & Photos Updated 2018