Heart Healthy Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes
Heart Healthy Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes is a recipe that was adapted from a whole wheat pancake recipe I found on phillyburbs.com. I used whole wheat flour and spelt flour, has no refined sugar, and substituted honey in place of commercial pancake syrup.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Cook Time: 13-15 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup milk (low fat)* (see below)
- 2 1/2 TBLS white vinegar* (see below)
- *1 cup Buttermilk (which I used in place of the low fat milk & white vinegar)
- 3 tbls. granulated Monk Fruit
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used half whole wheat flour and half spelt flour)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- drizzle with honey (optional)
- plain Greek yogurt for topping (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl if using the milk/vinegar combo combine the milk with the white vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”. Otherwise add the buttermilk to a medium mixing bowl. Then add the egg and vanilla and whisk to combine. I then added the 3 tbls. of granulated Monk Fruit and mixed it well.
- In a separate large bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until smooth. The batter should be the consistency of regular pancake batter. If the batter is too thick add additional milk. Whole wheat flour needs more moisture.
- Heat a griddle pan or large skillet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of batter on pan, when bubbles begin to form add blueberries. When batter is fully bubbled and ready to turn, flip over and cook until lightly browned.
- Serve with fresh berries, chopped nuts, drizzle with honey, and a dollop of yogurt.
Keywords: Healthy pancakes, honey, whole wheat flour, no refined sugar, pancakes