Valentine Sandwich Cookies
Valentine Sandwich Cookies is a basic shortbread cookie. It’s a flexible recipe you can make as a sandwich cookie or a regular cut out cookie you can decorate with icing or dipped in chocolate.
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cook Time: 7-9 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: approx. 14 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (or use coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- For Filling:
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Jam (or use your favorite jam)
Pre-Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl add butter, brown sugar and vanilla and beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Reduce speed and slowly add the flour and continue to mix, scraping the sides of the bowl to be sure everything is combined and well blended until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a smooth soft dough.
- Scoop the dough from the bowl and form into a ball, then flatten a bit and divide it into 2. Wrap each section in plastic wrap and chill about an hour.
- Roll out to ¼ inch and cut out desired shapes (hearts for Valentine’s day) or circles.
- Cut out a center shape on half of the cut-outs. This will give you the jelly window.
- Place cookies onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Cool on wire racks.
For the Filling
- Spread the jam on the bottom cookie and top with the cut out cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar OR you can drizzle with melted chocolate.
Yield for the cookies will depend on the size of the cookie cutter you use.
Keywords: Valentine's Day Cookies, sandwich cookies, jam filled cookies