I usually make mushroom barley soup but this time I added more vegetables including swiss chard which was in abundance at the market.
I was hoping that grampy didn’t notice the earthiness the swiss chard adds and, thankfully, he thought the soup was delish.
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, diced (or 2-3 shallots, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and cut in cubes or sliced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped and cleaned
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3-4 cans vegetable broth
- 3-5 cups water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Serve with crusty bread – ciabatta or foccacia.
You might enjoy Sandi’s Mushroom Barley Soup from A New York Foodie
I’ve shared this with