Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, diced (or 2-3 shallots, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and cut in cubes or sliced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped and cleaned
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3-4 cans vegetable broth
- 3-5 cups water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Prep Tip: While soup is cooking clean the swiss chard by pulling the stems apart. Rinse under cold water to remove the sand. Chop stems into 2 inch pieces and place into a bowl of cold water. Rinse thoroughly and drain in a colander. Be sure all the sand is removed.
- In a large stock pot heat on medium and add the oil. Add the onion, garlic and/or shallots and saute for a few minutes only until they are translucent. Then add the carrots and celery to the onions and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the barley and stir to mix with the vegetables. Add the liquid and stir to mix all the vegetables and cook on medium until the soup bubbles, cover and reduce heat to low and cook about 30 minutes.
- When barley is tender, after about 40 minutes of cooking, add the mushrooms and then add the swiss chard to the soup. If necessary you can add additional liquid (vegetable broth and/or water). Continue to cook until the swiss chard is done, about 10 minutes.
- Taste for additional seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed and stir in the fresh parsley.