are on the menu in honor of the Easter Bunny. An easy recipe for weekend breakfast or snacks.
I always make muffins on the weekend and since it’s springtime I’m reminded of the Easter Bunny and carrots. Strange maybe, but when age starts creeping up on you thoughts of your youth help to make you smile and bring to mind some childhood memories- oh, maybe I should clear this up and let you know I’m not not that old . . .!!!!!
My preferred muffin size is the mini. They are best for brunch when there is a wide variety of foods. That gives everyone an opportunity to enjoy a small bite of something sweet with a cup of tea or coffee. If there are leftovers I freeze them for when we want a snack.
This basic carrot muffin recipe is easy and if you pulse the carrots in a food processor the kids will never know they are eating vegetables. No worries for the picky eaters.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or your preferred light oil)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or substitute coconut sugar)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 large carrot grated (or finely pulsed in food processor)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil and sugar, then add the applesauce and the carrots.
- In medium bowl whisk in the flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the large bowl with the wet ingredients just until blended. Stir in the walnuts if you are using. It’s o.k. if it’s a little lumpy, don’t overmix.
- Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop batter into the pan ¾ full. Bake 9-12 minutes or when the tops spring back when touched in center.
- If you make full size muffins bake for 20-25 minutes.
Carrot muffins call for cream cheese frosting. Here is an easy recipe.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 TBLS. butter softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
- In a medium size bowl using an electric mixer beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and on low speed mix until the sugar is blended then mix on high until light an fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on the muffins and add chopped walnuts or festive colored sprinkles.