Gougeres With Beer Appetizer Recipe
Gougeres With Beer Appetizer Recipe is a very easy puff pasty recipe to make for game day snacks or party appetizers. Gougeres is a puff pastry dough and cheese is added which makes them different that a sweet cream puff. Give them a try, it’s easy and a delicious game day snack as well.
- Prep Time: 12-15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 30 Gougeres
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup Guinness stout beer
- 8 TBLS. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (-2 TBLS.) whole wheat flour (or use AP flour)
- 3-4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Gruyère grated (you can use your preferred cheese)
- dash of cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a large saucepan add the beer, butter and salt and bring to a simmer (not to burn the beer) and when the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and then add in all the flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
- Return the pan to the heat and continue stirring the dough for about 30-45 seconds for some of the moisture to evaporate.
- With the wooden spoon stir in one egg at a time – vigorously stirring each addition so that the dough becomes silky and smooth. Only add in the next egg when the previous egg has been well combined.
- Usually 3 eggs is sufficient, however if you are using small eggs you may need to add the 4th egg.
- The dough should be smooth and glossy. Add in the grated cheese and cayenne pepper stirring just until blended into dough.
- If you have a pastry bag you can pipe the dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets. I use a tablespoon size cookie scoop and it works perfectly.
- Brush the tops of each puff with egg wash. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake additional 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the puffs to cool on the cookie sheets to allow the moisture to evaporate. After you turn off the oven you can leave them in there with the door open for about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving add additional shredded cheese on top of the puffs and put under broiler for a few seconds just until cheese melts.
Keywords: puff pastry dough, gougeres, cream puffs with cheese, appetizer with beer