Mozzarella in Carrozza is sandwich that is egg dipped and breaded then fried.
This was a special treat we would have during holidays. I now will make this only occasionally for the family because it is fried.
When I do fry I like to use grapeseed oil rather than vegetable or canola oil. Grapeseed oil is a bit healthier, if there is such a thing when it comes to oil and frying.
This is an economical recipe to make especially when you have leftover mozzarella.
Serve it as an appetizer or side dish with marinara sauce or for lunch with a bowl of soup.
Mozzarella In Carrozza
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Appetizer
- 6 slices of whole grain bread, crusts removed – cut each slice in half
- 12 slices of mozzarella
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 TBLS. Panko crumbs (optional)
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- 2-4 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
- Place the mozzarella on the bread slices and trim the bread so that the mozzarella is sandwiched perfectly between 2 halves. Cut away excess bread if the cheese slices are smaller than the bread. (Save the bread to make bread crumbs.)
- Add the eggs and milk into a wide dish and beat well until blended.
- In another wide dish add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and then place into the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- In a large frying pan heat oil and add the breaded sandwiches to the hot oil. Fry on each side until browned and remove to paper towel to drain.
I’ve shared this with: