Mozzarella In Carrozza
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Appetizer
- 6 slices of whole grain bread, crusts removed – cut each slice in half
- 12 slices of mozzarella
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 TBLS. Panko crumbs (optional)
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- 2-4 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
- Place the mozzarella on the bread slices and trim the bread so that the mozzarella is sandwiched perfectly between 2 halves. Cut away excess bread if the cheese slices are smaller than the bread. (Save the bread to make bread crumbs.)
- Add the eggs and milk into a wide dish and beat well until blended.
- In another wide dish add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and then place into the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- In a large frying pan heat oil and add the breaded sandwiches to the hot oil. Fry on each side until browned and remove to paper towel to drain.