This coconut flour chocolate chip cookie is made using Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour. It’s a gluten free cookie with more than a hint of coconut flavor.
I have been doing experimental baking with alternative flours for the past nine months, ever since grampy’s doctor told him he needed to make a healthy diet change.
So doctor’s orders rule and I’m on a mission to find healthy baking alternatives.
My baking experiments are not always successful so when I saw there was a Google Hangout on how to bake with coconut flour with a baker/employee from Bobs’ Red Mill I joined in to gain whatever insights I could about baking with coconut flour.
To my surprise, several weeks later I received 2 bags of Organic Coconut Flour from Bob’s Red Mill. I couldn’t wait to began searching for recipes. I thought I would start with a cookie recipe first since we are a cookie loving family.
I decided to make the ever popular and most requested chocolate chip cookies. I found this recipe on Free Coconut Recipes.com.
There you can find many recipes that have been tested and most of the recipes have many helpful comments from the bakers who have tried the recipe.
I’m not a gluten free baker so I’m unfamiliar with the resulting textures of baked goods from the different types of flours. The texture of the cookie is definitely different than a cookie baked with traditional flours but it didn’t crumble. It is a cake-like cookie as opposed to a crunchy cookie, and has a delicious coconut flavor.
I have to confess I’m not a conventional cook/baker. I always tweak recipes and make changes which is what I did with this recipe (maybe I was a scientist in a past life).
O.K., here goes, the complete gluten free coconut flour chocolate chip cookie recipe as it is written and my substitutions noted in parenthesis.Print
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you are a fan of coconut cookies, this recipe is very easy and it’s a great addition to your dessert buffet. This recipe was adapted from freecoconutrecipes.com
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 15 min.
- Total Time: -26023663.366667 minute
- Yield: 1 dz.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1/2 TBLS. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs (I used 2 eggs and the flaxseed substitute for 2 eggs)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional – I left out the coconut)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- In medium bowl mix together the melted coconut oil, vanilla, eggs and salt using a hand mixer to blend thoroughly.
- Add in the coconut flour, chocolate chips (and coconut if using) and mix thoroughly. (The mixture is a bit crumbly but I used my hands to mix it to hold together.)
- Drop dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet (I used a cookie scoop). Flatten the dough since the cookies do not spread and bake 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
As a novice using alternative flours I would say this recipe was successful.
As I mentioned above this cookie has a distinct coconut flavor. After reading all of the comments and noted the bakers’ questions and answers, I used the flaxseed substitution for eggs and I used coconut sugar since I try to eliminate refined sugar/granulated sugar whenever possible.
If you try this recipe please let us all know how you like it. Comments are very helpful when experimenting and making a new recipe with ingredients that are unfamiliar.