A quick and easy to make pasta salad that can be taken to any party or picnic. There is no mayonnaise in this salad which makes this a salad for all seasons.
Pasta Salad Hold The Mayo
I’m fortunate to have one of my lovely daughters live nearby. I’m always learning something new when she shares with me her recipes and tips.
Over the years she has adjusted her cooking style to accommodate her family’s preferences.
She often remakes an old family favorite and very often her recipe remake turns into a keeper. That’s what happened to the summer pasta salads I used to make over the years.
We noticed no one was eating the old, cold pasta salad with broccoli dressed with an Italian dressing that always had too much oregano – oops! oregano may be the reason.
Lovely daughter is a minimalist cook. No fuss, make it quick and not too many ingredients is her style. Her pasta salad is just that, no fuss, quick and easy with a basic vinegar and oil dressing. Whenever she makes it there are no leftovers.
The best part of this dish is you can boil the pasta and cut the tomatoes a day in advance if you are very busy. Then just dress it up when you are ready to serve.
I have no doubt there are many out there who make this easy pasta salad. It’s really a basic and simple dish but I’ll share it for anyone who might be looking for a simple cold pasta salad.
When you dress the pasta just before serving it can stay on the table for quite some time without spoiling. This dish is great as a side dish with weekend BBQ’s or on a buffet table for a special celebration.Print
Pasta Salad – Hold The Mayo
Pasta Salad Hold the May is made with an oil and vinegar dressing. A very versatile salad to serve on any buffet or party. No need to worry about the heat in summer. Keep it over a bowl of ice and out of the sun with no worries.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Cook Time: 7-10 min.
- Total Time: 1-2 hr. chill time
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box rotelli style pasta (or your favorite pasta shape), cooked al dente
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or grape tomatoes quartered
- 8 oz. pkg. mozzarella cut into small chunks (optional)
- 1 cup black olives, halved (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro & fresh basil (whichever you prefer, or use all)
- 3-4 TBLS. olive oil
- 2 TBLS. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and tomatoes and add to a small bowl. Stir in the olive oil and vinegar and toss well to coat the tomatoes and onions. Taste to see if you would like to add more of either vinegar or oil and salt and pepper. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the water just before draining.
- Drain pasta and add to a large bowl.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and add the mozzarella chunks, olives if using, parsley/cilantro & basil, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir well to blend. Can be served well chilled or at room temperature.
Make this pasta salad your special of the house by using your favorite ingredients. Add in whatever you and your family will enjoy!
Keywords: pasta salad, no mayo, summer salad, potluck, macaroni salad
We make this cold pasta salad hold the mayo recipe quite often. To change things up we use different types of pasta. As you can see from the photos, we often use veggie pasta. This pasta/macaroni is made with assorted vegetables which gives the pasta different colors. The kids like it. They really didn’t question the color of the macaroni and have no idea there are vegetables in the macaroni. I like to add in that teeny tiny ‘pinch of healthy’ whenever I can.
This is the cold pasta salad you will want to take on a picnic. It has no mayo in it. When you need a side dish that will go with almost anything you are grilling this pasta salad is the one to make. Actually, this is the ‘LBD’ of pasta salads, you can take it anywhere in any season. No Mayo, perfect to place on the party buffet with no worries.
PLEASE SHARE &
*Recipe and photos updated 2018