This Pasta Salad Hold the Mayo remake is an easy cold summer salad.
I’m fortunate to have one of my lovely daughters live nearby. I’m always learning something new when she shares with me her recipes and tips.
Over the years she has adjusted her cooking style to accommodate her family’s preferences.
She often remakes an old family favorite and very often her recipe remake turns into a keeper. That’s what happened to the summer pasta salads we used to make.
We noticed no one was eating the old, cold pasta salad with broccoli dressed with an Italian dressing that always had too much oregano – oops! oregano may be the reason.
Lovely daughter is a minimalist cook, no fuss, make it quick and not too many ingredients. Her pasta salad is just that and whenever she makes it there are no leftovers.
The best part of this dish is you can boil the pasta and chop the tomatoes a day in advance if you are very busy and dress it up when you are ready to serve.
This recipe is really simple and there are probably many out there who make this simple dish but I’ll share it for anyone who might be looking for a simple cold pasta salad.
When you dress the pasta just before serving it can stay on the table for quite some time without spoiling. This dish is great as a side dish with weekend BBQ’s or on a buffet table for a special celebration.
- 1 box rotelli style pasta, cooked al dente (we use Dreamfields)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or grape tomatoes quartered
- 8 oz. pkg. mozzarella cut into small chunks (optional)
- 1 cup black olives, halved (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro & fresh basil (whichever you prefer, or use all)
- 3-4 TBLS. olive oil
- 2 TBLS. red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and tomatoes and add to a small bowl. Stir in the olive oil and vinegar and toss well to coat the tomatoes and onions. Taste to see if you would like to add more of either vinegar or oil and salt and pepper. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the water just before draining.
- Drain pasta and add to a large bowl.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and add the mozzarella chunks, olives if using, parsley/cilantro & basil, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir well to blend. Can be served well chilled or at room temperature.