Puttanesca Sauce With Spaghetti Recipe
Puttanesca sauce is a meatless spicy red sauce traditionally made using pantry staples that are kept in most Italian kitchens – tomatoes, anchovies, olives, capers, and pepperoncini or red pepper flakes. Originally Puttanesca was considered a rustic sauce, so you can use chunky tomato style sauce if you choose.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 30 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 1 box spaghetti (or use your preferred pasta)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 -5 anchovy fillets or use 2-4 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- 3 TBLS. olive oil
- 1 28 oz.can San Marzano crushed tomatoes (or whatever tomatoes you have)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved (or use your favorite olives)
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2-4 tsp. drained capers
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2-4 TBLS. chopped basil
- Bring pot of water to boil and add salt.
- In a large saute pan heat 2 the olivie oil and add in the chopped garlic and onions. Saute until onions are translucent and the garlic is just lightly golden. Add in the anchovies and gently stir them into the onion mixture. They will break up a little and eventually melt into the sauce.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and continue to cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally to be sure the onion/anchovy mixture blends.
- Stir in olives, capers and red pepper flakes, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally while the pasta cooks.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain pasta and save the pasta water. Toss the pasta with the sauce in a large bowl, adding in the chopped parsley and basil. Stir well. If the sauce is too thick add in a scoop of pasta water and stir well.
- Taste for additional seasonings as needed. Add grated parmagiano reggiano cheese if you like.
TIP: The sauce can be prepared using crushed tomatoes, or you can use fresh garden tomatoes and chop them in a mini chopper. This will make the sauce much lighter and you can probably use less garlic, anchioves and olives. It’s really just a personal preference.
Keywords: Italian Puttanesca Sauce, Spaghetti with puttanesca sauce, Italian spaghetti dinner,