Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Strawberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream is an easy homemade ice cream that is refined sugar free. This recipe is adapted from the Basic Vanilla Ice Cream recipe in the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker Instruction Booklet. (*Post and photos were updated in 2018. I re-made this recipe when the temperature was 97 degrees. The ice cream just kept melting — note to self: try to take ice cream photos when temps are under 80 degrees.)
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min. ice cream machine
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1-2 tbls. granulated Lakanto Monk Fruit
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or your preferred milk)
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 tbls. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate (milk or dark chocolate)
- Chop the strawberries and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of granulated Monk fruit, taste for sweetness before adding the full amount of sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the milk and sugar and use a hand mixer on low speed to dissolve the sugar, it takes a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and vanilla and place the bowl in the refrigerator to keep cold until the strawberries have released some of their juices.
- Take half of the strawberries and mash them with a fork and add that and the juice to the milk mixture.
- Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- About 5 or 10 minutes before the ice cream is frozen add the remaining chopped strawberries and chopped chocolate and continue to churn for the remaining 10 minutes.
- It will be a soft serve consistency. You can serve it immediately. Or if you prefer, transfer the soft serve to another container, cover and place in the freezer for a couple of hours (at least 4 or 6 hours).
Keywords: homemade ice cream, strawberry ice cream, no refined sugar, ice cream machine