Shrimp Scampi BBQd is a quick and easy take on the traditional recipe made in the oven.
When you are busy and multi-tasking that’s when creativity kicks in and new cooking methods are born – hence the shrimp scampi cooked on the barbecue.
Last weekend when we were barbecuing everyone wanted something different. This is nothing new from our ‘picky palate’ family.
One of the boys likes shrimp but only scampi style which was his request that day. No problem! That’s when lovely daughter shared her secret. It seems she’s been doing this for almost a year (wish I had known this sooner 🙂 ).
“Are you serious?” I said and watched her prepare the shrimp scampi in 8 minutes flat (it took a few minutes to peel & clean the shrimp) and it cooked to perfection on the grill in about 10 minutes (timing depends on how hot your grill is).
Pull out the shrimp, peel and clean, place them in a foil pan with the chopped garlic, seasoned breadcrumbs, lemon juice, butter, etc. and on the top shelf of the grill it goes.
So here you have a quick dish you can turn into a very special meal on any busy day of the week.
Shrimp Scampi BBQ'd
NOTE: This is a serving for 2. Too make this serving 4, double the spaghetti and shrimp, and adjust the lemon juice, wine and bread crumbs to taste.
- 1/2 pkg. spaghetti (I use Dreamfields)
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled & cleaned
- 2-3 TBLS. olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1-3 gloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2-3 TBLS. butter
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional/adults only)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves
- In a medium size pot add water and heat on high until boiling for the spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- In an 8 or 9 inch aluminum foil pan add the shrimp and drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil, lemon, and half of the chopped garlic and parsley.
- In a small bowl add the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and half of both the garlic and parsley and stir in olive oil. Mix together until you have a moist texture.
- Sprinkle this on top of the prepared shrimp and top with the butter. Add a little white wine if using.
- Place on the grill to cook, approximately 10 minutes. Keep a watchful eye on it so it doesn’t overcook.
- Drain the cooked spaghetti and place in serving dish top with the bbq'd shrimp.
Serve with spaghetti and add fresh chopped parsley and basil and garnish with lemon. You can also serve it with a side spinach salad, quinoa or rice.