a quick and easy light dinner that is baked and quickly put together using leftovers. Or you can just use the abundance of garden fresh zucchini.
With only 5 leftover ingredients that were in my fridge I was able to create this this dish was very easy meal that was done in 30 minutes – if you bake the zucchini earlier in the day.
It rarely happens that I have enough leftovers to make a dish for two but I guess it was my lucky week.
I had leftover tomato sauce from the weekend. I bought zucchini late last week but didn’t get a chance to make it and we usually have mozzarella on hand so I decided to use it all on this zucchini parmigiana.
This was so easy, I made it while I was on the phone. It was an afternoon of serious phone calls that seemed to never end so I just began preparing the zucchini and I was able to continue prepping the dish all while putting out the fires on the phone. It was a very stressful day but I was able to make dinner and that is all that matters.
Zucchini Parmigiana - or Parmesan
Zucchini Parmigiana, or Parmesan, is made easily with fresh zucchini, tomato sauce and mozzarella - that's only 3 ingredients. An easy recipe to make with garden fresh zucchini. Or make it any time, it's an easy lasagna style with no pasta.
- 2 med/large zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 8oz. mozzarella sliced
- olive oil for drizzle
- approx. 3 TBLS. chopped parsley and/or 3 basil leaves chopped
- Slice zucchini in slices a little more than ¼ inch thick. Dip the slices in the egg and then in the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded slices on parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top of the zucchini slices.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven 15 minutes on each side, or just until the bread crumbs are lightly browned.
- In a baking dish place one layer of zucchini on the bottom of the dish. Add mozzarella on top of each zucchini, use as much or as little mozzarella as you wish. They spoon tomato sauce on top of the the entire layer. Sprinkle a little parsley and/or basil over each layer.
- Repeat layering process until all the zucchini is used.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the flavors have blended and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle a little Italian grated cheese on top before serving.
Of course if you need to feed a family of 4-6 just increase the ingredients. Add another zucchini or two. For a side I just added a tossed salad and garlic toast, it’s just that easy.
This recipe is easily made anytime using fresh ingredients. You can also prepare this early in the day and then bake it when you get home. Then dinner is served when everyone’s is ready.