A quick and easy light dinner using a few ingredients you may already have in the fridge you can prepare an easy casserole for any family dinner. If you have a vegetable garden, this recipe is a great option to use the abundance of our garden fresh zucchini.
With only 5 leftover ingredients that were in my fridge I was able to create this this dish was very easy meal that was done in 30 minutes – if you bake the zucchini earlier in the day.
It rarely happens that I have enough leftovers to make a dish for two but I guess it was my lucky week.
I had leftover tomato sauce from the weekend. I had extra zucchini from the garden and we usually have mozzarella on hand so I decided to use these basic 3 ingredients to make this zucchini parmigiana.
This was so easy, I made it while I was on the phone. It was an afternoon of serious phone calls that seemed to never end. So I just began preparing the zucchini and I was able to complete the prep while putting out the fires on the phone. It was a very stressful day but I was able to make dinner and that is all that matters.
I first baked the zucchini in the oven until they browned a bit. This only took about 10 minutes. Then I began to add the sauce over the baked zucchini, then added the mozzarella slices. It was a quick dish to prepare and baked for 25 minutes. I had enough leftovers for this dish to serve 2.
Zucchini Parmigiana – or Parmesan
Zucchini Parmigiana, or Parmesan, is made easily with fresh zucchini, tomato sauce and mozzarella – that’s only 3 ingredients. An easy recipe to make with garden fresh zucchini. Or make it any time, it’s an easy lasagna style with no pasta.
- Prep Time: 15-20 min.
- Cook Time: 20-30 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 2-3 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 2 med/large zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 8oz. mozzarella sliced
- olive oil for drizzle
- approx. 3 TBLS. chopped parsley and/or 3 basil leaves chopped
- Slice zucchini in slices a little more than ¼ inch thick. Dip the slices in the egg and then in the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded slices on parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top of the zucchini slices.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven 15 minutes on each side, or just until the bread crumbs are lightly browned.
- In a baking dish place one layer of zucchini on the bottom of the dish. Add mozzarella on top of each zucchini, use as much or as little mozzarella as you wish. They spoon tomato sauce on top of the the entire layer. Sprinkle a little parsley and/or basil over each layer.
- Repeat layering process until all the zucchini is used.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until the flavors have blended and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle a little Italian grated cheese on top before serving.
Keywords: baked zucchini, zucchini casserole, zucchini parmesan, parmigiana, easy recipe, vegetarian
Of course if you need to feed a family of 4-6 just increase the ingredients. Add another zucchini or two. For a side I just added a tossed salad and garlic toast, it’s just that easy.
You might also enjoy this easy to make focaccia bread. You can dip the bread in the sauce or make a delicious sandwich with leftovers.
This recipe is easily made anytime using fresh ingredients. You can also prepare this early in the day and then bake it when you get home. Then dinner is served when everyone’s is ready.
**Recipe & Photos Updated 2018