Does this ever happen to you, it’s late, the stores are closed and you’re looking for something different to snack on? That’s how this chocolate covered marshmallow treat came to be.
It was too late to start baking so when we started rummaging through the cabinets there wasn’t much to work with except marshmallows and chocolate. Anything dipped in chocolate is good, ‘no’? Yes, we decided to melt chocolate and coat the marshmallows.
It was easy to do and they were just the snack we were looking for. There were a few left over so I brought them to the boys to see what they thought.
Of course the boys loved them and they asked me to make them again. No surprise there, but this time I decided to enlist their help just to get them away from the video games. It worked like a charm.
The boys love S’mores so they took out graham crackers and using their imagination this is the treat we made. The result was a delicious, chocolaty marshmallow snack that turned out to be like a home made version of an out of shape mallowmar cookie.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Treats
- Category: Snack
- Graham Crackers (approx. 6 large or 1 dozen mini)
- regular size marshmallows
- chocolate chips for melting (I use Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips)
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips. Put in a small microwaveable bowl and cook on high for 20 second intervals. After each 20 seconds stir the chocolate chips and repeat. Keep stirring just until the chips are a little chunky. They will continue to melt. You don’t want the chips to all be melted – the chocolate will seize up, or burn.
- I used mini graham crackers, but you can try to cut the larger ones and use the pieces that break into a reasonable size.
- Cut the marshmallows in half. Place the sticky side on the graham cracker.
- Dip them in the melted chocolate and place on sheet pan lined with wax paper. Place in fridge or freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to chill.
We made a lot and saved some for the next day. It was a fun afternoon making memories in the kitchen.
Do this with the kids on snow days or any time you don’t want to venture out in the nasty fall or wintery weather.