An easy dessert, you can make these Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes anytime.
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Everyone bakes chocolate cupcakes. Everyone LUVS chocolate cupcakes. It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, it’s always the right time for chocolate cupcakes.
I like my chocolate with a mocha flavor but not everyone is a fan.
So I made the frosting plain chocolate for everyone first and then I added coffee to the remaining frosting which I added to the mini cupcakes for me.
This is an easy recipe I’ve been making for many years that is on the Hershey’s cocoa powder package. It’s a foolproof recipe and never disappoints.
This past year, based on my family’s dietary needs, I made a few changes in the recipe. I switched out the 3/4 cup of all purpose flour and replaced it with white whole wheat flour.
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes is a dessert to make anytime. This recipe is adapted from Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cups AP Flour (I use 1 cup white flour + 3/4 white whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tbls. instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (low fat is o.k.)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. instant coffee powder (optional)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in muffin tins – This recipe makes about 24-30 regular size cupcakes. I made 18 regular size cupcakes and the rest I made mini size.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix with hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the boiling water to the mixture gently. The batter will be very thin liquid like.
- Pour into prepared pans ¾ full. This batter does not rise.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove to cool on wire rack.
- Top with frosting.
The rich chocolate flavor is the perfect foil for the white whole wheat flour. I also replaced the granulated sugar with half brown sugar and half coconut sugar.
You can find the original recipe on the Hershey’s Cocoa container or on-line HERE.
I scooped out the center of the cupcakes with a little gadget I just picked up at WalMart. It was so cool, the cake instantly came out leaving the perfect space for filling.
All you need is a teaspoon of filling to add to the center before frosting the cupcakes. This is the first time I tried this and everyone was surprised.