Everyone bakes chocolate cupcakes. Everyone LUVS chocolate cupcakes. It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, it’s always the right time for chocolate cupcakes.
I like my chocolate with a mocha flavor but not everyone is a fan.
So I made the frosting plain chocolate for everyone first and then I added coffee to the remaining frosting which I added to the mini cupcakes for me.
This is an easy recipe I’ve been making for many years that is on the Hershey’s cocoa powder package. It’s a foolproof recipe and never disappoints.
This past year, based on my family’s dietary needs, I made a few changes in the recipe. I switched out the 3/4 cup of all purpose flour and replaced it with white whole wheat flour.
The rich chocolate flavor is the perfect foil for the white whole wheat flour. I also replaced the granulated sugar with half brown sugar and half coconut sugar.
You can find the original recipe on the Hershey’s Cocoa container or on-line HERE.
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
Adapted from Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cups AP Flour (I use 1 cup white flour + 3/4 white whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 unsweetened cocoa
- 2 TBLS. instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (low fat is o.k.)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. instant coffee powder (optional)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in muffin tins – This recipe makes about 24-30 regular size cupcakes. I made 18 regular size cupcakes and the rest I made mini size.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix with hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the boiling water to the mixture gently. The batter will be very thin liquid like.
- Pour into prepared pans ¾ full. This batter does not rise.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove to cool on wire rack.
- Top with frosting.
I scooped out the center of the cupcakes with a little gadget I just picked up at WalMart. It was so cool, the cake instantly came out leaving the perfect space for filling.
All you need is a teaspoon of filling to add to the center before frosting the cupcakes. This is the first time I tried this and everyone was surprised.
If you are a fan of cupcakes you might enjoy:
Mini Mandarin Meringue Moments Cupcakes from www.whatsonthelist.net.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes from www.ourlifetastesgood.blogspot.com .
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting from www.thetiptoefairy.com
I’ve shared this with: