This fresh pasta with simple sauce is easy to make and was inspired by a segment on ‘how to’ make fresh pasta on America’s Test Kitchen which I recently watched.
According to the test kitchen it seems that making fresh pasta with a flour dough can be challenging.
One of America’s Test Kitchen tips was to let the dough rest at least 4 hours. That can be a long time when you have a busy schedule but if you plan the day and then maybe bake a delicious dessert you’ll be ready to roll out the pasta.
I’ve made homemade raviolis which are quite easy to make. I use semolina flour in place of white flour which is merely a personal preference based on my family’s dietary needs. However, I will say that using semolina flour for pasta requires a resting period of only 20 minutes maximum – that’s enough time to clean-up, and you are ready to roll.
What intrigued me most about this T.V. segment was the simple sauce of olive oil and anchovies. Anchovies is probably not the most popular ingredient so I substituted whatever vegetables I had and added it to a base of olive oil and broth, seasoned with chopped garlic and fresh herbs – it really is simple.
For the fresh pasta I made I used Bob’s Red Mill Semolina flour. There is a recipe on the package that is fail-proof. You can find the recipe with a few extra tips that I used to make raviolis here.
To make a plain pasta, follow this recipe through Step #5 and continue as follows:
- Continue by rolling up the rectangle jelly roll style and slice in 3/8″ strips (fettuccine style). Continue the process with the remainder of the dough.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water for about 3-5 minutes. The noodles will all float to the top of the pot.
- Drain the pasta and serve with your favorite sauce.
For my Simple Sauce I used onions and peppers I already had in my fridge along with the mushrooms which I roasted in advance. You can use your favorite vegetables or whatever you have.
TIP: If you use frozen vegetables you can save a lot of time. Defrost the amount of vegetables you need in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Starting with Step #3 below you would add in the vegetables when the oil is hot and the garlic has softened. Continue with the remaining steps to complete the recipe. Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes.
Simple Pasta Sauce With Fresh Vegetables
- 2 TBLS. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS. butter
- On a sheet pan lined with foil, place the onions and peppers, drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen vegetables skip this step.)
- Fill a large pot with water on high heat to boil.
- In a large saute pan heat olive oil and add chopped garlic. Cook garlic for 2 minutes. (Add in the peppers and onions if using and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.)
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add in the vegetable broth and simmer covered.
- Add the fresh pasta to the boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
- Add the vegetable sauce to the pasta in the large pot and stir in the butter, parsley, basil and salt and pepper.
- Serve and add grated parmagiano reggiano cheese (optional).