Banana Nut Muffins A Little Healthier
I have been making and re-making many recipes using whole wheat flour for just the right banana nut muffin.
After a few many fails I found Joy of Baking’s banana muffin recipe. Finally, a delicious muffin with just the right texture.
TIP: Ripe bananas can be very sweet. Taste the banana before you mash it to get an idea as to how much sugar you’ll need, adding less sugar if the bananas are sweet.**
I usually make mini muffins. The bake time for the minis is always 11 minutes in my oven for every different variety of muffins I’ve made. In the recipe below I’ve given the bake time for both the full size muffin and the minis.
- ¾ cup pecans or walnuts lightly toasted and then chopped
- ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cups AP flour
- ¾ cups sugar** (I used ¼ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2-3 med/large ripe bananas mashed (approx. 1½ cups)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick coating. I used a 24 cup mini muffin pan.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool and then chop.
- In a large bowl add in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and chopped nuts.
- In a medium bowl mash the bananas, add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla and gently blend together.
- Fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients stirring gently just combined. The batter will be thick and chunky. Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into muffin pan ¾ full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes -- if making mini muffins bake 11 minutes – or until the tops do not sink in when lightly pressed.
- Place hot muffins on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes and then remove them from the pan.
Now that the fall season in upon us, put on a cozy sweat shirt and relax with a hot cup of tea or coffee and enjoy the fresh baked muffins.
If you enjoy making muffins as much as I do try this from Bunny’s Warm Oven, Banana Cinnamon Toffee Chip Muffin.
I’ve shared this with: Hearth and Soul Blog Hop