A quick and easy Chicken Pot Pie for dinner any night of the week.
During the hectic holiday season I like to cook once and eat twice for less stress. Now we all know that one recipe doesn’t put a meal on the table every day, just sayin’.
Here is how Quick and Easy recipes can give you healthy meals when time is short.
Do the big prep, cook one recipe and turn it into two or three different meals. The bonus is that you have three meals and have taken your leftovers to a new level.
I made a double batch of fresh chicken soup. I’m sure everyone has a recipe for chicken soup and most families love it on cold damp days.
When I made the soup I added twice the amount of vegetables and added in fresh chopped swiss chard (you can use any greens or other veggies you prefer). Since I knew I was going to make chicken pot pie with leftovers I wanted to be sure I added enough vegetables.
Here’s how I put it all together in one afternoon, Quick & Easy style. First roast 2 very large chicken breasts. While the chicken is roasting cut all the veggies and make the soup. Done in 45 minutes, use a meat thermometer to be sure the chicken is cooked but not overdone.
If there is any chicken left you can make chicken salad sandwiches or chicken fajitas for lunch.
Below is a chicken pot pie using the leftover chicken soup. If you are short on time you don’t need to make a pie crust topping. I made a cheddar cheese biscuit topping which is very easy.
You can shorten your time even more by using refrigerator biscuits if you have them.Print
Chicken Pot Pie Quick and Easy
This chicken pot pie recipe is made with leftovers from a roasted chicken and chicken soup. Also included is a recipe for a biscuit topping.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 45 min. roasting chicken
- Total Time: 50-60 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups vegetables from the soup and 1-2 cups of soup
- 1 1/2 TBLS. each of flour and butter for roux
- 1 cup frozen peas if not included in your soup
- chopped mushrooms (4-5 large crimini or button mushrooms)
- chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Ingredients For Biscuit Topping
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 TBLS. butter or shortening
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a medium size pot add the vegetables with 3/4 cups of the soup on medium heat and add any additional vegetables if you want (I added in peas and mushrooms).
- In a small saucepan make a roux with the butter and flour – melt the butter and add the flour stirring constantly for about 30-45 seconds. Add in 1 cup of soup stir well just to blend and then add it all to the larger pot with the vegetables.
- Stir the vegetable mixture well and heat until the mixture lightly thickens – approx. 3-6 minutes.
- Add the mixture to a small baking dish or small aluminum pie plate and top with the biscuit mixture (Biscuit recipe below). Or you can top with refrigerator biscuits.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuit topping is cooked.
Biscuit Topping Prep
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt with a fork to blend. Cut in the butter with the fork or your hands and gently mix into the flour. The flour should resemble a sand-like texture.
- Stir in the grated cheese. Add in the milk and stir well.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the dough and place on top of the pie. Cover the top of the pie with the biscuit topping.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or just until the biscuit topping is cooked.
Keywords: Chicken pot pie, easy recipe,
Quick & Easy TIPS:
#1. Use cream of mushroom soup if you have it on hand for the pot pie and save time not making a roux.
#2. Use any frozen vegetables you have to add to the pot pie.
#3. Use crescent roll dough or refrigerator biscuits for the pot pie topping if you have them available.
Another Quick & Easy Recipe: Quick & Easy Shrimp With Quinoa