When the temperatures start to fall this vegetarian onion soup is a quick and easy soup you can make in advance.
I make onion soup often and posted a recipe awhile ago titled Onion Soup, What Makes It French. It’s an easy recipe that calls for using Sherry or Brandy, sweet onions and rich beef broth.
I’m always re-making recipes. There are no magic ingredients for onion soup but the ingredients you use will change the flavor of the soup. So I’ve titled this recipe Onion Soup Quick and Easy.
I tagged this recipe for #meatlessmonday so I added vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Of course feel free to add any broth you choose on any day . . .
That’s what I enjoy about cooking. You can swap out ingredients based on what’s available at the market or in your fridge and have fresh new flavors.
Including the prep and cooking time you can be ready to serve the onion soup in 45 minutes or less. Or if you are busy and ‘in the plan ahead mode’ you can make this early in the day or even a day in advance.
Give yourself 15 minutes to heat up the soup and put it under the broiler for the cheese to melt and Soups On! Serve with a tossed salad.Print
Vegetarian Onion Soup Quick & Easy
Vegetarian Onion Soup is quick and easy and still delicious even though we used vegetable broth in place of rich beef broth. It’s a very easy recipe to make, it’s comfort food at it’s best on a cold rainy and chilly day.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 25-35 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- •1/2 cup butter (I use Smart Balance)
- •4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional – use water if you don’t use wine)
- 3 TBLS. flour
- 24 oz. vegetable broth (or beef broth if not for #meatlessmonday)
- 4-6 baguette slices toasted
- 1-2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (depends on how how much cheese you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In 5 quart pot melt butter over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic and season a little with salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized – takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Add in the white wine (or water) and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir until the flour is well incorporated into the onions and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the broth, stir well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, spread a little butter on the slices of baguette and place under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes just to brown a little.
- Spoon the soup into the bowls, add the bread, top with grated cheese and place under broiler for 3 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.
Keywords: onion soup, comfort food, French onion soup, vegetarian soup
Make Ahead TIPS:
- For those days when you know time will be limited to prepare dinner you can make onion soup a day in advance, as well as grate the cheese and toast the baguette slices.
- When you are ready to serve dinner you can have the soup on the table in less than 15 minutes only because you will need at least 10 minutes to get the soup hot.
- OR, you can ladle the cold soup into each bowl, microwave for a few minutes, then add the bread and cheese and place under the pre-heated broiler for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted