Vegetarian Onion Soup Quick and Easy
Vegetarian Onion Soup is a quick and easy recipe, and still delicious even though we used vegetable broth in place of rich beef broth. It’s vegetarian comfort food at it’s best on a cold rainy and chilly day.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 25-35 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- •1/2 cup butter (I use Smart Balance)
- •4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional – use water if you don’t use wine)
- 3 TBLS. flour
- 24 oz. vegetable broth (or beef broth if not for #meatlessmonday)
- 4-6 baguette slices toasted
- 1-2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (depends on how how much cheese you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In 5 quart pot melt butter over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic and season a little with salt and pepper.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized – takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Add in the white wine (or water) and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour and stir until the flour is well incorporated into the onions and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add in the broth, stir well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, spread a little butter on the slices of baguette and place under broiler for 2 or 3 minutes just to brown a little.
- Spoon the soup into the bowls, add the bread, top with grated cheese and place under broiler for 3 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.
Keywords: onion soup, comfort food, French onion soup, vegetarian soup