Bacon Appetizer Sweet and Savory
is a 3 ingredient recipe – how easy is that! An appetizer or snack for any gathering.
*This post and recipe has been updated 01/2017*
Bacon is one of those ingredients that can play many roles. When I saw this bacon appetizer sweet and savory recipe I knew I had to try it. How can you pass up a recipe with only three ingredients?
I’ve made this recipe several times over the years and recently I re-made the recipe in the air fryer. WINNER!
This recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes in the air fryer rather than the original recipe’s 2 hour cooking time and my recipe baking time of 1 hour and 20 minutes which also took a lot of baby sitting.
Sometimes you love a recipe so much you make the sacrifices, but the air fryer has set us free – less than 30 minutes this appetizer is ready.
Making this bacon appetizer sweet and savory recipe in the air fryer is prepared the exact same way. Then place the prepared crackers into the air fryer basket and bake at 320 degrees at 6 minute intervals, gently moving the crackers around the basket for even cooking. Do this 2 or three times, until the bacon is crisp.
The bacon came out so tender and perfectly cooked. In a matter of 30 minutes I had a plate of bacon snacks to keep everyone happy until dinner was ready.
This is so simple – you will need a #1 package of Toll House crackers, #2 bacon and #3 brown sugar.
Wrap ’em, bake ’em! and Serve. This is exactly what you are looking for when planning a game day gathering or make these are for a bridal or baby shower buffet. Can be served at room temperature.
I adapted this recipe from Pioneer Woman. The directions called for baking at 250 degrees for 2 hours. That 2 hour baking time was NOT going to work for me since I wanted to have the apps ready right away.
I tested this recipe several times. Of course I still didn’t want to wait 2 hours. My next test bake was at 325 degrees, watching them carefully until the bacon looked just right. It took 1 hour and 20 minutes to bake, still a long time and I had to baby sit them to be sure they didn’t over-bake.
A delicious snack, and with only a few leftovers I froze them for the next day which the Pioneer Woman recommended. When I defrosted them the bacon stayed tender and the crackers stayed crisp even after I re-heated them for a few minutes.
This recipe definitely needed the slow baking. I was so excited that this recipe turned out as Pioneer Woman had written, even with my change in the baking time.
Bacon appetizer sweet and savory made in the air fryer is definitely a recipe to make for a crowd or unexpected guests. The less than 30 minutes cooking time makes this recipe a definite ‘Must Make’ anytime recipe.
Here it is – Bacon Appetizer Sweet and Savory recipe for both oven baking and air fryer cooking!Print
Bacon Appetizer Sweet & Savory
A delicious sweet and savory bacon appetizer recipe that is adapted from Pioneer Woman. This is both an oven baked recipe and I added a version to bake in the Air Fryer.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min. oven baked
- Total Time: 15 min. total air fryer recipe
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- The specific amount of ingredients needed will depend on how many crackers you use. You will need 1/2 slice of bacon for each cracker.
- Toll House Crackers (I used whole grain)
- Brown Sugar — for 1 sleeve of crackers I used 2 over-filled tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the wire racks with non-stick cooking spray and place wire racks on the parchment lined pan.
- Place 1 teaspoon of brown sugar on top of each cracker.
- Wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around the sugar topped cracker and place on the wire rack.
- Do this with all the crackers and bake for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the bacon is just crisp. (Mine baked in about 1 hr. 20 min.)
- Remove from oven to cool and serve immediately or you can freeze them and serve when needed. Heat the frozen crackers just until warm to serve.
AIR FRYER RECIPE:
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil to fit in the air fryer basket according to manufacturer’s directions. Usually the foil should be a quarter inch narrower than the fryer basket so that the air circulates while cooking.
- Prepare the ingredients the same way as for oven baking, then place on aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place the prepared aluminum foil with the prepared crackers into the air fryer basket.
- Bake at 320 degrees for 6 minutes. Open the basket and rearrange the crackers so they are evenly spaced and continue to bake at 6 minute intervals. Repeat the process and they’re done when the bacon is crispy. Mine baked in 15 minutes total.
Keywords: bacon, appetizer, sweet and savory bacon,
This is a recipe for any time of year. Make these for family snacks; for any party or gathering they are perfect for any game day buffet table. If you love sweet and savory snacks, this is IT, quick and easy, sweet and savory All In One delicious appetizer!
Have you used an air fryer? If so, what are your thoughts?
Saving time and calories is always on my list. Follow along with me on my air fryer cooking journey, sharing my tips and helpful hints: