We are under the weather this week. It’s cold, icy, rainy and we are just not feeling sunny and bright.
Chicken soup is what we need. I must admit I’m not a fan of chicken soup – I know, that’s crazy – but growing up my mom’s menu was soup every Monday night.
If/when I do have soup my preference is mushroom barley soup, but grampy reaaaalllllly loves chicken soup and since we are both under the weather I’m caving in and made chicken soup.
There are lots of delicious chicken soup recipes, mine is simple and easy to fit into our hectic schedules, but the twist is that I broiled my chicken while I was chopping my vegetables. I let the veggies simmer and cut up the broiled chicken and add it 1/2 hour before serving.
EASY and quick especially when you don’t feel well or when the day is crazy – you can have this ready in 1 hour or less if you don’t have interruptions. Make it in advance and have it ready when you are.
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-4 stalks celery, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut up or shredded
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. oregano/thyme or your favorite herb
- Add water and chopped onions, carrots and celery to a 5 quart saucepan and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cook on low-medium heat for another 30 minutes.
- Add in the parsley, spinach and cooked chicken and cook another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add approx. ¼ cup cooked rice to each bowl and add in soup.
Serve with crusty bread, crackers or one of our favorites Spicy Cheddar Cheese Bread.
Here is another soup recipe you might enjoy Italian Wedding Soup from The McCallums Shamrock Patch.