is a relatively easy recipe to make, it is very flexible, and it doesn’t have to cook for 4 hours.
When I saw a vegetarian chili recipe recently I saved it in my ‘must make’ recipe&
pile file. I finally had a chance to make it this weekend.
Yes, vegetarian chili, I know the guys really want a hearty beefy chili. I’m just not feelin’ the beefy love lately.
This is a keeper of a recipe for game day gatherings and any large group you might be entertaining. It cooks in no time, you can use a slow cooker, but it will only need maybe 45 minutes since there is no meat to tenderize. To keep your group happy add in veggies that you know your family will enjoy.
Prep should take no more than 20 minutes. The veggies are easy to chop. Here’s a little TIP to help you prepare this vegetarian chili in no time at all – many markets have pre-cut vegetables. Choose your favorites and add it according to the recipe. You will want to make this all the time it’s so easy and delicious.Print
Vegetarian Chili is so very easy to make. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but you can add or take out any vegetables that you prefer. Since there is no meat in this recipe it cooks quickly – not for hours!
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 45 min.
- Total Time: 50 min.
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tbls. avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 med-large Portobello mushrooms, cut up in 1 inch chunks
- 4 oz. Crimini mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 15 oz. cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
You can use your own homemade Chili seasoning
- 1 package of Chili seasoning (I used McCormick’s low sodium, no MSG, no artificial flavors)
- 15 oz. can of low sodium diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beer (optional)
- 1 cup water if sauce is too thick (use more or less as needed)
- Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- In a large 6 quart sauce pot heat the oil and add in the onions, garlic and peppers and saute until onions are translucent and just starting to caramelize.
- Add in the butternut squash and stir well, Cover and let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in the chili seasoning coating all the vegetables. Continue to stir on low heat for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend into the vegetables, stirring often to prevent any burning. Stir in the beans.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and beer and stir well and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, then cover pot and cook another 20-30 minutes until the butternut squash is tender.
- If the sauce is too thick, add additional water. If too thin, remover cover and bring to a low boil for a few minutes to thicken.
Keywords: vegetarian chili, no meat chili recipe, quick and easy chili recipe
Dare you serve this on Super Bowl Sunday? YES, Of course you should and why not add it as a topping on the burgers and hot dogs.
This is also easy to make for a hearty Meatless Monday meal.
You might also enjoy these Game-Day or Party recipes:
*2016 Updated recipe & photos