Walnut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie is a big name for a cookie. This cookie is also big on flavor.
It’s also a healthier snack for the kids to take in their lunch box.
This month’s #fillthecookiejar theme is Snowflake/Healthy/New Year. I decided to make something on the healthy side of the sweet cookie scale.
My Sweet Treat to start the New Year off right is this Walnut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie.
Adding dark chocolate chips and walnuts which are rich in their antioxidants and oats for fiber can put this cookie in the ‘healthy’ range and eliminating white sugar helps.
Don’t be fooled by the healthy aspects of this cookie. It’s a “winner” among my picky palates. They have no idea it’s healthy, they only know it tastes good and they like it.
To make the cookies more appealing I dipped the cookies in more dark chocolate and added more chopped walnuts for a “bigger boost” of healthy.
- ½ cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 cups quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup walnuts chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in the oats, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Melt ½ cup dark chocolate chips in microwave 25 seconds. Stir well until chips are melted. If needed heat another 15 seconds and stir well until all chips are melted.
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts for topping.
- Dip cookies in melted chocolate and place on wire rack. Sprinkle nuts on top.
- Repeat process to melt white chocolate chips and add mini chocolate chips.
To join the #fillthecookiejar baking group click on the photo for information: