Chewy Chocolate Cookie With Cherries and Walnuts
are gluten free and flourless. A delicious cookie for your favorite Valentine.
There is no better way to say “I Love You” than giving someone chocolate.
Chewy Chocolate Cookie with Cherries and Walnuts is a gluten free, flourless cookie that is antioxidant rich with cherries and walnuts.
To keep this cookie on the healthy side of the ‘Sweet Treat’ scale I eliminated the powdered “white” sugar.
I substituted coconut palm sugar and made my own powdered sugar.
Homemade powdered white sugar is very easy to make. If you do a Google search you will find loads of recipes.
Using the coconut palm sugar worked like a charm. The end result of this cookie was a little less sweet and a healthier cookie to #fillthecookiejar this month.
To make the ‘powdered coconut sugar’ you will need a blender, it works better for this than using a food processor, but if you only have one of these machines, that’s fine, use the one you have.
I blended my sugar for about 40 seconds, stopping every 10-12 seconds to scrape down the resulting powdered sugar from the sides of the container. This cookie recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar so I made 2 batches using one cup of sugar in each. It was easier that way and didn’t over-work the blender.
- 2 cups of Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 TBLS. corn starch
- 1¾ cups powdered coconut sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites (do not whip or mix)
- ½ cup chopped cherries (pitted frozen or canned if fresh cherries are not available)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Place 1 cup of the sugar and 1 TBLS. corn starch into the blender and pulse/blend until the sugar has turned to powder.
- Scrape down the powder every 15 seconds and pulse/blend until all the sugar is powdered. Depending on the speed of the blender this takes from 30 seconds up to a minute.
- Mix together powdered coconut sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt with a whisk. Gradually add the egg whites stirring with a spoon until mixture forms a dough. — This takes a minute or two. It may seem at first it will never happen but keep stirring, it will come together into a dough.
- When thoroughly blended add in the chopped cherries and walnuts
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon size) drop on to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 19 minutes until glossy and crackled. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
I make this gluten free and flourless cookie recipe all year, for any occasion or just when we are in the mood for chocolate. It’s a quick and easy recipe with “a pinch of healthy”.
Don’t Forget To Pin For Later
You Might Also Enjoy These Festive Cookies
I’ve shared this with: Hearth & Soul Hop