Chewy Chocolate Cookie With Cherries and Walnuts
are gluten free and flourless. A delicious cookie for your favorite Valentine.
There is no better way to say “I Love You” than giving someone chocolate.
Chewy Chocolate Cookie with Cherries and Walnuts is a gluten free, flourless cookie that is antioxidant rich with cherries and walnuts.
To keep this cookie on the healthy side of the ‘Sweet Treat’ scale I eliminated the powdered “white” sugar.
I substituted coconut palm sugar and made my own powdered sugar.
Homemade powdered white sugar is very easy to make. If you do a Google search you will find loads of recipes.
To make the ‘powdered coconut sugar’ you will need a blender, it works better for this than using a food processor, but if you only have one of these machines, that’s fine, use the one you have.
I blended my sugar for about 40 seconds, stopping every 10-12 seconds to scrape down the resulting powdered sugar from the sides of the container. This cookie recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups of powdered sugar so I made 2 batches using one cup of sugar in each. It was easier that way and didn’t over-work the blender.Print
Chewy Chocolate Cookies With Cherries & Walnuts
An easy to make Chewy Chocolate Cookie with Cherries and Walnuts is flourless and refined sugar free. Recipe was adapted from Relish.com.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 16-19 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min.
- Yield: 14-18 cookies- yield depends on the size of the cookie you make.
- Category: Cookies
For Powdered Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 cups of Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 TBLS. corn starch
- 1 3/4 cups powdered coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites (do not whip or mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped cherries (pitted frozen or canned if fresh cherries are not available)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For Powdered Sugar – Do 2 batches, using 1 cup of sugar each batch. I found this was easier to control the powder.
- Place 1 cup of the sugar and 1 TBLS. corn starch into the blender and pulse/blend until the sugar has turned to powder.
- Scrape down the powder every 15 seconds and pulse/blend until all the sugar is powdered. Depending on the speed of the blender this takes from 30 seconds up to a minute.
For Cookies Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix together powdered coconut sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt with a whisk. Gradually add the egg whites stirring with a spoon until mixture forms a dough. — This takes a minute or two. It may seem at first it will never happen but keep stirring, it will come together into a dough.
- When thoroughly blended add in the chopped cherries and walnuts
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon size) drop on to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 19 minutes until glossy and crackled. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
This is refined sugar free by making your own powdered coconut sugar quickly in your blender. Easy instructions above.
I make this gluten free and flourless cookie recipe all year, for any occasion, or just when we are in the mood for chocolate. It’s a quick and easy recipe with “a pinch of healthy”.
Don’t Forget To Pin For Later