Chewy Chocolate Cookies With Cherries & Walnuts
An easy to make Chewy Chocolate Cookie with Cherries and Walnuts is flourless and refined sugar free. Recipe was adapted from Relish.com.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 16-19 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min.
- Yield: 14-18 cookies- yield depends on the size of the cookie you make.
- Category: Cookies
For Powdered Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 cups of Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 TBLS. corn starch
- 1 3/4 cups powdered coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites (do not whip or mix)
- 1/2 cup chopped cherries (pitted frozen or canned if fresh cherries are not available)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For Powdered Sugar – Do 2 batches, using 1 cup of sugar each batch. I found this was easier to control the powder.
- Place 1 cup of the sugar and 1 TBLS. corn starch into the blender and pulse/blend until the sugar has turned to powder.
- Scrape down the powder every 15 seconds and pulse/blend until all the sugar is powdered. Depending on the speed of the blender this takes from 30 seconds up to a minute.
For Cookies Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix together powdered coconut sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt with a whisk. Gradually add the egg whites stirring with a spoon until mixture forms a dough. — This takes a minute or two. It may seem at first it will never happen but keep stirring, it will come together into a dough.
- When thoroughly blended add in the chopped cherries and walnuts
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon size) drop on to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 19 minutes until glossy and crackled. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
This is refined sugar free by making your own powdered coconut sugar quickly in your blender. Easy instructions above.