I checked the freezer and I had a couple of frozen chicken breasts that I sautéd a while ago and had too many for that night’s dinner so I froze the ones I didn’t use in my recipe.
It was such a lifesaver to have those pre-cooked chicken breasts. I just made a simple sauce added spinach and mozzarella and dinner was ready! Don’t panic if you don’t have pre-cooked chicken breasts in the freezer, here is the recipe using fresh chicken breasts.
Quick and Easy!Print
Chicken Florentine Style
Everything can be made using just one saute pan. If you are using leftover and pre-cooked chicken you can make this on the stove or bake in the oven. The stove will be quicker.
- 4 chicken breasts, floured and lightly sauted
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded mozarella
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional) – if you don’t use the wine add additional chicken broth.
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove chopped, and/or chopped shallots or onion (your choice, use all or which ever you prefer)
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you do not have leftover chicken breasts, just heat a saute pan with 2 TBLS. olive oil.
- Flour the chicken and add to the hot oil and saute on each side for 3-4 minutes. You don’t have to cook all the way through as the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the sauted chicken from the pan and set aside. Add to the pan the chopped garlic/shallot/onion, whichever you are using. Saute until translucent.
- Add in the wine if using or use the chicken broth and stir well. Add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Heat until it comes to a brisk simmer, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and top with spinach and mozzarella. Cover pan and simmer about 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the cheese is melted. Add the chopped parsley.
- Serve with a salad and/or your favorite vegetables.
Serve an easy Panzanella Tuscan Bread Salad from McCallums Shamrock Patch with this dish for a complete meal.