We are in a deep freeze and going shopping is not pleasant. According to grampy we have to ‘eat something‘ tonight and I didn’t know what to make.
I checked the freezer and I had a couple of frozen chicken breasts that I sautéd a while ago and had too many for that night’s dinner so I froze the ones I didn’t use in my recipe. I always have spinach in the fridge, so I decided to make this easy dinner chicken florentine style.
You might be asking ‘what in the world in chicken florentine style’? Simple put, florentine style is actually a recipe that is made with spinach leaves in a creamy white sauce flavored with garlic, Italian seasonings and topped with mozzarella.
A very flexible recipe, you can make choose any protein to make in a florentines style. I like quick and easy, so this was an easy recipe to put together. Here is a delicious Serve an easy Panzanella Tuscan Bread Salad from McCallums Shamrock Patch you can make with this dish for a complete meal.
It was such a lifesaver to have those pre-cooked chicken breasts. I just made a simple sauce added spinach and mozzarella and dinner was ready! Don’t panic if you don’t have pre-cooked chicken breasts in the freezer, here is the recipe using fresh chicken breasts.
Chicken is what I often make for dinner at least once a week. You might also enjoy this quick and easy Light Easy Chicken Dinner. When having dinner guests this is a quick and easy recipe to make in advance. Heat up when ready to serve. This is a recipe so easy and delicious to make when having dinner guests.
Quick and Easy dinner you can make any time!Print
Chicken Florentine Style
Chicken Florentine Style recipe can be made using just one saute pan. You can also make this baked in the oven.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 15-20 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 4 chicken breasts, floured and lightly sauted
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded mozarella
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional) – if you don’t use the wine add additional chicken broth.
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove chopped, and/or chopped shallots or onion (your choice, use all or which ever you prefer)
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. If you wish you can cut them smaller if you want to serve them for a party buffet.
- Flour the chicken and add to the hot oil and saute on each side for 3-4 minutes. You don’t have to cook all the way through as the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the sauted chicken from the pan and set aside. Add to the pan the chopped garlic/shallot/onion, whichever you are using. Saute until translucent.
- Add in the wine if using or use the chicken broth and stir well. Add in the lemon juice and salt and pepper. Heat until it comes to a brisk simmer, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and top with spinach and mozzarella. Cover pan and simmer about 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the cheese is melted. Add the chopped parsley.
- Serve with a salad and/or your favorite vegetables.
To Oven Bake: Place the prepared chicken in a baking pan and bake about 10 minutes on each side (or until 3/4 cooked). Add the spinach and wet ingredients, top with mozzarella and bake another 5-7 minutes (or until cooked). Serve
Keywords: chicken dinner, chicken florentine, weeknight dinner, party food recipe
*updated in 2018*