I found this recipe several years ago on www.landolakes.com. It’s an easy cut-out recipe which I make often in different cut out shapes for my grandsons.
My family loves cookies so I thought why not make just one more cookie for them to enjoy.
We like chocolate so I decided on this chocolate cookie cut in heart shapes and filled them with a white chocolate ganache and drizzle.
Chocolate Heart Cookies
Adapted from “Cream Filled Wafer Hearts” on www.landolakes.com
- Category: Cookies
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup butter (I used Smart Balance)
- 2 TBLS. sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 4 tsps. heavy whipping cream
- 1 square (1 oz.) of semi-sweet baking chocolate
White Chocolate Ganache Filling & Drizzle
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 5 TBLS. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, butter, sugar and whipping cream in medium size bowl. With a hand mixer on low speed beat until well mixed and scrape down the sides of the bowl to be sure dough is well incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- When ready to bake, remove 1 section of dough and roll out to 1/4″ thickness. Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place on either parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart. With a fork lightly prick holes in the top of the cookie to prevent over-puffing of the cookie. Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool for 3 minutes on cookie sheet and then remove to cooling rack.
White Chocolate Ganache
- Place the white chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- In a separate small bowl add the 5 TBLS. of heavy cream and bring to a boil. (Since it is such a small amount I used the microwave, but be sure the cream is hot.) Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chips.
- Stir the chips until melted and shiny. This will take several minutes, don’t give up eventually they will all melt.
- Set aside and chill for 15 minutes. Pour into a small plastic bag, cut off one small tip and pipe the chocolate on one cookie. Top with another cookie and set aside.
- Drizzle the tops of the sandwich cookies and add sprinkles if desired.