Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Mushroom Gravy
is a dish that looks like you spent hours in the kitchen but it is really easy to prepare.
Chicken is on our menu at least once a week if not more, “. . . let me count the ways”.
You can be very creative with chicken, it can take anything you give it.
I’ll have a few more easy chicken recipes to share this month. This first recipe for stuffed chicken breast is a great dish to serve for guests. Or make this as a special dinner . . . just because . . .
I stuffed the chicken with salami and cheese but you can certainly use any deli meat and/or cheese you prefer or just meat or only cheese. For our side dish I made quinoa with peas.
Rice Pilaf or even mac ‘n cheese if you feel like you need comfort food are both great sides for this stuffed chicken breasts with mushrooms.
Don’t let the long recipe fool you. The recipe is simple and in total the prep should not take more than 20 minutes.
- 6 Thin sliced chicken breasts
- 6 slices provolone cheese (or your choice)
- 6 slices salami (or use your preferred deli meat)
- 12 leaves fresh baby spinach (optional)
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBLS. butter & 2 TBLS. avocado oil to saute mushrooms
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms sliced (or any mushrooms you like)
- 3 TBLS. flour
- 3 TBLS. butter
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Worcesteshire Sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a small skillet and saute the sliced mushrooms for about 5 minutes, just until tender. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Add the flour to the melted butter and stir well with a wooden spoon to blend.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth stirring constantly. Cook on low to low/medium heat until it thickens (approximately 8-12 minutes). Add in the mushrooms and stir well. Cook for another 3-5 minutes on very low simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce is too white add in a dash or two of Worcesteshire Sauce. This will add flavor and color.
- Place the ⅓ cup of flour in a gallon size plastic bag add a little salt & pepper & set aside.
- Flatten out the chicken breasts and lay out 1 slice of each of cheese and deli meat, top with fresh spinach leaves if you are using it.
- Tightly roll up each breast and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat a large skillet and add 3 tablespoons of oil to medium/high heat.
- Place the rolled chicken in the flour and gently shake to cover the chicken with flour. When oil in pan is hot add the chicken breasts cook until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and add to a casserole dish.
- Bake in 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Pour half of the mushroom sauce over the chicken breast and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken breasts and spoon the mushroom sauce over the top and serve.