Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins
are really Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins. How can you resist a chocolate muffin made using buttermilk, chocolate and chocolate chips if you are a chocolate lover?
The draw for me when I read the recipe from Betty Crocker was that everything is done all in one bowl.
EASY! and quick, you can make this recipe any day of the week when you have 40 minutes — done! and you have a great snack.
This being a muffin recipe it really is not sweet but the mini chocolate chips add just the right touch.
For an after school snack you can spread a little marshmallow cream on the muffins. The kids will love it – actually I think everyone will enjoy them.
I’m sure many of you know this, but I’ll share this TIP just in case: if you do not have buttermilk, don’t fret, you can make your own by adding 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar into a cup of milk. I have used this substitution often using both whole milk or 2% milk and it works perfectly.
- 1 cup buttermilk (or make your own, see above TIP
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 TBLS. avocado oil (or any light oil )
- 1 egg
- 1 cup AP flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar (use all brown sugar if you don't have coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips
- In medium bowl mix the buttermilk, butter, oil and egg with a whisk or fork.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients except the chocolate chips and stir just until moistened.
- Now add in the chocolate chips and stir just until blended into the batter.
- Add to muffin pan and bake 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
These chocolate buttermilk muffins are a quick ‘on the go’ take-out when time is not on your side. Or just enjoy any time with your coffee or tea. They are delicious just as they are with your morning coffee or tea. The kids will enjoy them with a glass of milk.