Irish Soda Bread Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies
Irish Soda Bread Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies are festive for St. Patrick’s Day. This is an easy cookie recipe you can make for any occasion. Just change up the filling to fit your theme party.
- Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Total Time: 30-40 min.
- Yield: approx. 18 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- For Cookie Filling:
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- a few drops of green gel food color
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Using a box grater (or cheese grater) grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Using a fork mix in the grated butter with the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. You can also use your hands to mix in the butter.
- In a small bowl mix together the buttermilk and egg and then add it to the flour mixture stirring until a soft dough forms.
- Remove the dough and place on a floured surface and lightly need 5 times.
- Divide the dough in half. With a floured rolling pin roll out one half of the dough to ¼ inch. Cut out circles using a cookie cutter. Re-roll any scrapes and continue the process with the second half of the dough.
- Place the cut out dough on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly browned on the bottom.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Mix together a drop or two of green gel food coloring into the marshmallow fluff. Mix well. Add more gel until desired color is reached.
- Spread the fluff on cookie and top with another for the sandwich cookie.
This recipe was from a local newspaper I was reading in an airport while waiting for a flight home.
Keywords: St. Patrick's Day cookies, sandwich cookies, soda bread cookie recipe, easy recipe, dessert