Vegetarian Bolognese Sauce
This is a vegetable bolognese sauce that is hearty for any meatless meal. Serve with any of your favorite style pastas. Also choose your favorite vegetables as well. Another easy and flexible recipe to make your own.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 10-14 min.
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 3 Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 6 shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh basil
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS. olive oil
- Clean all the vegetables and chop in a small dice. (feel free too your your favorite vegetables)
- In a saute pan with high sides, or a chicken fryer, heat oil and add in the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Next add in the carrots, celery and pepper and let them cook about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- If using the red wine, deglaze the pan with ¼ cup of red wine. (Leave this step out if you do not use wine)
- Add in the diced tomatoes and the tomato sauce stirring to combine all the ingredients. Cook for 15 minutes and stir in the remaining wine if using. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 35-50 minutes, stirring occasionally (cook time depends on how long the veggies will cook and combine the flavors). Add in the parsley and basil toward the end of the cooking.
Keywords: vegetarian, pasta sauce, bolognese sauce, meatless dinner