Chicken is a staple on our family menu so I try to be creative mostly for myself. Everyone likes their chicken cutlets fried, rice on the side and a veggie.
Not so much for me, I’m looking for more flavors. I’ll fry up the cutlets and then use some other vegetables or whatever I have in the fridge to come up with something different. This Chicken Florentine Style is just one recent dish I put together with what I had in the fridge.
Polenta is so easy to make and it’s a great base for adding healthy vegetables for a delicious side dish for most any protein.
For the polenta I used instant polenta. It was all I could find on the day I was out shopping, but it turned out to be a lifesaver. It was a busy day and the instant polenta is quick and easy to prepare.
- Instant Polenta prepared according to package directions for the number of servings you will need.
- 2-4 cups of fresh kale
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 TBLS. chopped parsley
- 2 TBLS. butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- First start with washing the kale and patting it dry on paper towels. Cut the leaves in a rough chop so they are bite size.
- Heat in a saucepan 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil and add in the chopped garlic, sauteeing just until soft.
- Using the same sauce pot prepare the polenta according to the package directions. I made 2 cups of polenta and it actually only takes about 3 minutes to cook.
- Once the polenta is almost cooked stir in the kale, add in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
If you have polenta leftover, spread out the polenta in a rectangular or square shaped container so that it’s about 1 1/2 inch thick. The next day you can slice the polenta into small squares. Fry them in a little oil for a polenta patty, top with mozzarella cheese, let it melt a little, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. This is a nice lunch or serve it as another side dish.