can be prepared in advance. Make the sauce, spinach filling, and dough. Then set them aside until you are ready to put together the pizza and bake.
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza is this week’s Friday night pizza. This week I was looking to make something more hearty so I decided to try making a stuffed deep dish pizza. Here’s the backstory.
So in my quest to find a ‘specialty’ pizza I was also looking for recipes to make all in one pan.
The pizza quest and one pan recipe had nothing to do with each other but I was focused on looking for both items.
One of my blogger friends Jenny from In the Kitchen With Jenny recently posted her deep dish pizza in a skillet and I was even more inspired to make a deep dish pizza.
Then I saw a stuffed pizza in a magazine and thought that would be hearty enough for dinner. I forgot to save the magazine. There is no way to remember which magazine. I’ve recently been in dozens of waiting rooms recently.
That’s o.k. though, pizza is easy to make. I just used my intuition and worked through the steps – it’s not rocket science.
This spinach stuffed deep dish pizza has been our favorite Friday Night Pizza dish the past few weeks. Grampy thought that my 10 inch skillet to small to make a pizza for dinner. Surprise!, a spinach stuffed deep dish pizza was more filling than imagined.
I was not able to get photos of the entire process while making the pizza. For some strange reason grampy wanted to get into the prep action and picture taking didn’t fit in. I’ll do my best to detail the process for you. It’s easy enough.Print
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza is a hearty pizza for family movie night or game day.
A couple of helpful TIPS: 1. Make the spinach first, set aside & let it drain. 2. Make the pizza dough, cover and let it rise. 3. Make the pizza sauce.
- Prep Time: 15-30 min.
- Cook Time: 25-35 min.
- Total Time: 50-60 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- For the Pizza topping:
- 1 8 oz. mozzarella, slice half and shred half
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- Approx. 2 TBLS. olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- For the Spinach Filling:
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach washed and dried
- 1-2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- For Pizza Sauce:
- 1 TBLS. olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic chopped
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- In a saute pan heat oil and add the chopped garlic cooking until translucent. Try not to brown.
- Add in the fresh spinach, stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon until the spinach just starts to wilt. Add in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from pan and place in a paper towel lined dish to absorb some of the moisture.
- In a small saucepot heat the oil and add chopped garlic. Cook until garlic is translucent and then add in the red pepper flakes.
- Add in the tomato sauce and cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Stir in fresh chopped parsley and or basil.
- You can make the sauce early in the day and leave covered until ready to use.
Assemble The Pizza
- Cut in half the pizza dough you made in advance.
- Roll out one half of the dough and place in the well greased cast iron skillet.
- Add the drained cooked spinach and spread evenly on the pizza dough. Sprinkle about ½ cup of shredded mozzarella over the spinach.
- Roll out the other half of the dough and lay it over the spinach layer.
- Crimp together the edges of the two layers of dough so they don’t separate
- Spread tomato sauce over the top of the dough.
- Add slices of mozzarella and/or shredded mozzarella – to taste – and sprinkle with ¼ cup of parmigiano reggiano cheese on top.
- Drizzle lightly with a little olive oil, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned on the bottom.
Keywords: spinach, stuffed pizza, skillet pizza recipe, party food
I made this spinach stuffed pizza in a very well greased 10 inch cast iron skillet. I made my favorite very easy pizza dough recipe. For a gluten free pizza you can easily substitute you preferred gluten free pizza dough.
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza is really Quick and Easy! Especially if you do the prep early in the day. Then when you are ready, you can put together the pizza in just a few minutes then bake.