Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza
Spinach Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza is a hearty pizza for family movie night or game day.
A couple of helpful TIPS: 1. Make the spinach first, set aside & let it drain. 2. Make the pizza dough, cover and let it rise. 3. Make the pizza sauce.
- Prep Time: 15-30 min.
- Cook Time: 25-35 min.
- Total Time: 50-60 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- For the Pizza topping:
- 1 8 oz. mozzarella, slice half and shred half
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley and/or basil
- Approx. 2 TBLS. olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- For the Spinach Filling:
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach washed and dried
- 1-2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- For Pizza Sauce:
- 1 TBLS. olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic chopped
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- In a saute pan heat oil and add the chopped garlic cooking until translucent. Try not to brown.
- Add in the fresh spinach, stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon until the spinach just starts to wilt. Add in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from pan and place in a paper towel lined dish to absorb some of the moisture.
- In a small saucepot heat the oil and add chopped garlic. Cook until garlic is translucent and then add in the red pepper flakes.
- Add in the tomato sauce and cook on a low simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Stir in fresh chopped parsley and or basil.
- You can make the sauce early in the day and leave covered until ready to use.
Assemble The Pizza
- Cut in half the pizza dough you made in advance.
- Roll out one half of the dough and place in the well greased cast iron skillet.
- Add the drained cooked spinach and spread evenly on the pizza dough. Sprinkle about ½ cup of shredded mozzarella over the spinach.
- Roll out the other half of the dough and lay it over the spinach layer.
- Crimp together the edges of the two layers of dough so they don’t separate
- Spread tomato sauce over the top of the dough.
- Add slices of mozzarella and/or shredded mozzarella – to taste – and sprinkle with ¼ cup of parmigiano reggiano cheese on top.
- Drizzle lightly with a little olive oil, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned on the bottom.
Keywords: spinach, stuffed pizza, skillet pizza recipe, party food