It’s really easy to make and you can top it with any herbs or toppings you like. It’s a simple pizza dough recipe to which you then add your favorite topping ingredients.
Some herbs, onions, tomatoes, the possibilities are endless. I had olives leftover from another recipe so I decided to cut them up and add them to my focaccia.
I’ve made focaccia several times and I’m admitting that it never turned out right. I could never put my finger on the problem but I was determined to keep trying
O.K., so Google was the help I needed. I found great info on foodnetwork.com. It seems that I wasn’t using enough olive oil, yes, that simple addition of more oil was all my focaccia needed.
Homemade Olive Focaccia Bread
Homemade Olive Focaccia Bread is very easy to make using a pizza dough. Focaccia bread is a delicious substitute for store bought bread with your meal. Focaccia Bread can also be served as an appetizer for family gatherings or parties.
- Prepare the pizza dough & let it rise
- 1/8 cup of olive oil (for baking sheet)
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. rosemary, thyme, basil(optional, use whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup black olives, halved
- 1/4 cup green olives, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare an 11 x 15 baking sheet (with sides) by spreading it generously with olive oil (approx. ⅛ cup, add more if needed), and set aside.
- When the pizza dough has risen remove from the bowl and spread it out on the baking sheet. Punch down the dough with fingertips to make indentations. Set aside. If the dough rises and the indents disappear you can punch down the dough to make more indentations while the topping is cooking.
- In a small saucepan heat the olive oil on medium. When hot, add in the chopped garlic and let it cook just for a few seconds, just to infuse the garlic flavors into the oil.
- Next add in the red pepper flakes and let simmer for another minute. Do not let the oil get too hot or it will burn the garlic and pepper flakes.
- Add in the olives and parsley with a little salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 5-8 minutes just to let the flavors blend.
- Pour the oil mixture over the top of the dough, spreading it with a spatula to cover. Brush more oil around the edges if needed.
- Bake for 15 to 25, depending on your oven, just until the edges and bottom is lightly browned.
You will first need the easiest pizza dough recipe ever. This is a photo of the recipe I use, but you don’t need to squint to read it. This is my Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe.
You can also make sandwiches with the focaccia, just slice through the center and fill with your favorite sandwich foods or leftovers.