I add in whatever vegetables I have in the fridge and very often it’s perfect for a meatless Monday dish.
Today I used hearty and ‘meaty’ portobello mushrooms along with onions, quickly saluted them and this dish was ready in about 20 minutes to make.
I cooked the onions and mushrooms while the water boiled and the pasta cooked.
Quick Review: It’s easy: cook the onions alone with some added salt and they will brown in 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the mushrooms and continue to saute. Both the onions and mushrooms will continue to brown and they will sweeten a little from the caramelizing. De-glaze the pan with the wine (if not using wine add vegetable broth) and lemon juice, add vegetable a little more broth if you think there is not enough sauce (this is a personal preference) and simmer while the spaghetti cooks and “Dinner is Served!”
- 1 TBLS. avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 TBLS. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped (optional)
- 1-3 med.-lg. portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- juice from 1 lemon
- ½ cup white wine (optional/or add vegetable broth)
- vegetable broth or bouillon as needed
- 1 12 oz. pkg. spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- salt and pepper
- 1 TBLS. butter
- 2 leaves fresh basil chopped (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in skillet and add the sliced onions and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook onions for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally. They will start to brown, continue to cook until they soften and add in the chopped garlic if using.
- While the onions are cooking fill a pot with water, place on medium to high heat to boil for the spaghetti. Add the spaghetti to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Add in sliced mushrooms to the onions and continue to cook on medium heat.
- When the mushrooms and onions are browned, add in the white wine and stir to blend well and then add in the lemon juice. Stir well and cover for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add in ½ cup vegetable broth if you would prefer to have more sauce. Add more, a little at a time as needed. Add parsley and salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and save some of the pasta water.
- Add the drained pasta to a bowl and stir in the onion and mushroom mixture. Top off with 1 Tablespoon of butter and stir well. If needed add some of the pasta water. Add additional salt, pepper as needed.
- Top with fresh chopped basil and parsley.
- You can serve with grated parmgiano reggiano.