This Light Easy Chicken dinner is on the menu tonight.
This light easy chicken dinner is taking over for what was to be meatloaf tonight. Funny how things change in the blink of an eye.
One of my grandsons has not been feeling well and my instructions were to be sure he ate something light. He hasn’t been eating much this past week so I wanted to be sure I made something he would like.
On the way home from the doctor’s office I stopped at the store to pick up chicken breasts. My fridge was stocked with thus usual ‘greens’ so I didn’t need anything else. My grandson is a bit of a picky eater so I knew I wouldn’t be needing much more than I already had on hand.
I pulled out a few cherry tomatoes and parsley from the fridge, a small shallot just for flavor, added some vegetable broth and made this easy chicken dish that is simple and flavorful.
As a filler for grampy I made some pasta for him and he was thrilled. He added a chicken breast to his pasta with the sauce from the chicken and dinner was a winner!
This is a quick and easy meal made in one skillet and I actually made it in less than 20 minutes but I added a few minutes in the event the chicken breasts you might be using are thicker than what I used.
I didn’t get a chance to take photos since the “boys” were hungry and I didn’t have time to stop for a photo shoot. But trust me, it was definitely Quick & Easy!. Feel free to ‘kick up the flavors’ – you can add olives, spinach, sundried tomatoes, or even add tarragon or basil if you wish. This is such a great base for a dinner chock full of flavor! We just needed to keep it light this week.
I’ve remade this recipe many times and recently updated the photos. I also have been using some of the heirloom – or specialty tomatoes which are now more readily available.
Chicken Breasts with Tomatoes
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 2-3 tbls. avocado oil (or use your preferred light oil)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 8 oz. vegetable broth
- 2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pasta, Rice, Quinoa
- Or Mixed Green Salad
- Heat a skillet to medium and then add in the oil.
- Pat and dry the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. They will splatter, but the chicken needs to sear so they can brown a little. It only takes about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken and set on a plate. In the pan add the diced shallots and sliced tomatoes, stir well in the hot pan just until the shallots become translucent - approx. 1 minute.
- Pour in some of the vegetable broth to deglaze the pan and stir with a wooden spoon cooking for another minute or so.
- Add in the chicken and the remainder of the broth, stir well and then add in the parsley. Cook for another few minutes until chicken is cooked through approximately 1-4 minutes - depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- Serve with your favorite side.
This is a delicious and easy weeknight meal when your schedule is on overdrive.
I’ve shared this with:
Let’s Get Real Party #52