What could be better than combining Bacon and Cheddar Cheese?
The combination of bacon and cheddar in my little pastry puffs is almost the perfect little appetizer, or a great side for the boring ‘same ‘ol chicken cutlets’ I make every week.
These little bacon and cheddar cheese puffs cheered me up. The recipe is actually a basic puff pastry so it’s not low in calories but it is BIG on flavor.
If you are looking for something quick and easy to make as a side to dress up your dinner this basic puff pastry recipe is definitely worth a try.
These delicious little puffs are also great for game day or add to a buffet for a special party.
Don’t forget about brunch, this is great to serve with quiche or omelets.
- ⅔ cups water
- 2 TBLS. shortening
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 strips of cooked crispy bacon, chopped
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan add the water and shortening and bring to a boil.
- Add in the flour all at once and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball and comes clean from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until the egg is well incorporated into the flour mixture. (This will take about 45 seconds to a minute - don't give up, keep on stirring until the egg is well blended),
- Stir in the chopped bacon, shredded cheese, parsley and pepper into the mixture.
- Drop rounded teaspoon or a small cookie scoop, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
This recipe is very easy to make. I made them in the afternoon and since it was a new combination of flavors we decided that it was important to taste – we had to be sure they were good!
They were so good we ate the entire dish in the blink of an eye. I had to make another batch. This recipe yields about 18-22 small puffs. It was enough for our family of 6 as a side but for appetizers or game day I’d make several batches.
Since it was still mid-afternoon and supper was a few hours away, I made another batch and I left the puffs in a dish uncovered. When we were ready to eat I put them in a hot oven for 5 minutes and they were awesome!
I’ve shared this with: