Pumpkin Ravioli with Autumn Sauce
is on the menu this week. It’s a great Meatless Monday dish which I’m happy to share today.
First, I must ‘fess up – I didn’t make the pumpkin ravioli from scratch. I did try to make them last season but I wasn’t able to get the right consistency.
Earlier this week I came across fresh pumpkin ravioli in our specialty market and I couldn’t resist.
I made an ‘autumn’ sauce which the market was offering to serve with the ravioli. I was curious about the sauce so I asked what the ingredients were in the sauce and to my surprise it was just a combination of fall spices and added sweetness from brown sugar and maple syrup in a creamy sauce that was easy to replicate.
I made the sauce both ways and they were equally delicious – I just love recipes that are flexible.
To top off this delicious autumn pumpkin ravioli with autumn sauce I added pepitas or pumpkin seeds. They added a nice crunch.
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½-1 Tbls. flour
- 1 tbls. Butter
- 1 tbls. Flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup water
- Add the cream and broth to a saucepan and heat on medium until it starts to simmer.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, syrup and continue to cook at a simmer just until the flavors blend - approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Taste for sweetness and desired autumn spice flavors to your taste. Add more of whichever spice you prefer as well as additional sweetness.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- If the sauce is not thick enough you can make a slurrie with a little flour and some of the hot cream. Stir it into the cream to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Cook the ravioli. Pour the sauce over the ravioli and top with toasted pumpkin seeds.