Apple French Toast Roll Ups
is an easy weekend breakfast or after-school snack.
We have a bushel of apples thanks to my family who went apple picking this fall. My son-in-law is so sweet, he wanted to be sure he and the boys picked enough apples for me to use in cooking and baking.
The apple french toast roll ups turned out to be a winner with the boys. They are not big fans of anything with fruit but they loved the cinnamon and sugar on the apples and were sold. I’ve made these 3 weeks in a row for their snacks and I made ‘breakfast for dinner’ for us one night.
To be honest I never made French Toast roll ups before now but I decided we needed something different. I usually make stuffed French Toast with Nutella and bananas which grampy enjoys but it’s really more a lunch rather than a snack.
The apple French Toast roll ups seemed to be a good idea. It’s a ‘take and go’ breakfast or snack the boys could pick up and take with them to eat on the run. What a great recipe to experiment with, the boys loved them and as I made more I decided to add the apple compote.
Fruit topped snacks are not always on kids’ radar but since it was the weekend and everyone was home it just seemed like a good idea to make an apple compote. The apples were a delicious addition to the roll ups, they are sweet enough that the kids might give them a thumbs up!
I used Oatmeal bread in place of traditional white bread and no one was the wiser.Print
Apple French Toast Roll Ups
Apple French Toast Roll Ups is a delicious weekend breakfast treat, after school snack or add to the game day buffet. It’s an easy recipe to make in advance and can be made in the air fryer as well.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 4-6 min. air fryer time
- Total Time: 25 min.
- Yield: approx. 2-4 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 loaf of sliced bread (I used Oatmeal bread, you can use your favorite sliced bread)
- 2-3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cup up in cubes
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
For cooking the roll ups
- 1-2 TBLS. butter
- TBLS. avocado oil (or use any oil you prefer)
Cinnamon Sugar enough to coat the rollups
- Granulated Sugar
Make the Apple Compote
- In a small saucepan add the cut up apples, the lemon juice and the cinnamon and cook on a low heat. Stir the apples to combine the juice and cinnamon. Cook for a few minutes until the juices from the apple releases and the apples start to soften – approximately 3-5 minutes. They should be firm, you don’t want the apples to melt away. Set the apples aside.
For the Roll Ups
- Slice the crust off the bread and save for bread crumbs to use at a later time.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread.
- Heat a 10 inch fry pan and add the butter and oil on medium heat. AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: PREHEAT THE AIR FRYER
- Beat the eggs and mix in the milk.
- Dip the bread gently into the egg mixture.
- Add 1 tsp. of apples to the center of the slice of bread and roll it up.
- Place the roll ups in the hot fry pan. Brown on all sides.
- air fryer – place the roll ups into the air fryer basket. Be careful not to have too much egg dripping into the basket. Continue cooking.
- Remove from pan and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Dip, fill, roll and repeat until all the bread slices have been cooked.
- Top the roll ups with the apples and powdered sugar.
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS:
Keywords: French Toast Roll Ups, air fryer recipe, afternoon snacks, game day recipe
I made one tray of French Toast Roll Ups plain, without the apples, for the boys to have as their after-school snack.
The next day when they came home from school they put them on a paper towel in the microwave for 10 seconds and they were perfect. My son-in-law added the apple compote to his after-“work” snack.
You might also enjoy these family friendly treats or snacks you can make in advance: Easy Air Fryer Soft Pretzel Recipe Cooking With Kids and these easy Fried Ravioli Air Fryer Recipe.
I often make this recipe. I’ve updated the cooking instructions for baking in the air fryer as well.