A delicious appetizer or snack and great for fall holiday entertaining are these easy to make apple pumpkin fritters.
Apple Pumpkin Fritters
Fritters are one of my favorite appetizers or snacks to make. My mom made fritters often and used whatever she had available. Sometimes they were sweet and often they were savory.
‘Tis the season for pumpkin and apples so I added pumpkin to the apple fritters I was originally going to make. This is one of those recipes that has a ‘pinch of healthy’ with the addition of the pumpkin. The kids will never know and they will enjoy the this snack with a glass of homemade apple cider.
I recently saw in Woman’s Day Magazine caught my attention. One of the ingredients was cornmeal and I was curious which is why I had to try the recipe for this one ingredient.
An easy recipe to prepare, the cornmeal was the star – it added a crunchiness to the fritter that I thought was the perfect addition to an otherwise ordinary fritter.Print
Apple Pumpkin Fritters
Fall is a great time to make this easy apple pumpkin fritter recipe. This recipe thas a ‘pinch of healthy’ with the addition of the pumpkin. The kids will never know and they will enjoy the this snack with a glass of homemade apple cider. Recipe adapted from Womensday.com
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- Total Time: 25-35 min.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 TBLS. packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut into cubes
- Canola or Avocado oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix together the first seven ingredients (the dry ingredients).
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup add the wet ingredients (the milk through the vanilla) and mix well.
- Peel, core and cut the apple into small cubes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir gently just until well combined.
- Gently fold in the cubed apple.
- In a large saucepan add about 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Drop batter using a cookie scoop into oil and fry about 2 minutes turning until all sides are brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
Keywords: fall dessert, easy fall recipe, apple recipe, apple pumpkin fritters
After making these Apple Pumpkin Fritters several times I realized that the flatter the dough when frying in the oil, the quicker they will cook.
I made a Lemon Glaze for this batch of fritters. Just add 1-2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon to a cup of powdered sugar and blend until you reach the right consistency. The lemon was a nice addition to the apples.
For another batch of apple pumpkin fritters I melted white chocolate candy melts in the microwave and dipped the fritters in the melted chocolate. Return the fritters to the wire rack and place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes until the chocolate hardens and serve sprinkled with a little powdered sugar.