Double Chocolate Cookies
These are the perfect fall cookie for Thanksgiving and to #fillthecookiejar this month.
What could be better than adding pecans and cranberries to a chocolate cookie for the perfect Thanksgiving dessert cookie.
It is not an overly sweet cookie and the pecans and cranberries are a nice compliment to the chocolate.
Since we are serving these for Thanksgiving dessert, I made sandwich cookies with a white chocolate cream cheese filling and added more pecans for a double crunch. Why not drizzle more white chocolate on top! This cookie is doubly delicious and even grampy couldn’t stop eating them.
This is a very easy recipe to make and clean up is a breeze. Everything is in one bowl of the stand mixer – I prepped, baked, and cleaned up in 1 hour with a yield of 3 1/2 dozen cookies. Now that’s a keeper!
The sandwich cookie filling I made was just a quick and easy melting of white chocolate chips, a bit of cream cheese and a teaspoon of marshmallow fluff for just a bit of sweetness. I mixed it all in one small bowl with my itty bitty spatula and it was perfect.
Sprinkle on a little bit of chopped pecans for more crunch and this is a Thanksgiving cookie your guests will enjoy. This is also a great cookie for the dessert buffet as they do not need to be refrigerated – unless you are having summer weather.
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or use all brown sugar)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Monk Fruit in the Raw (or use ½ cup white sugar or your preferred sweetener)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps. vanilla
- 1 pkg. 60% cocao chocolate chips (or semi-sweet chips)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup white chocolate candy melts, melted
- 2-3 TBLS. whipped cream cheese
- 1-2 tsp. marshmallow fluff
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In mixing bowl add the room temperature butter and sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Add in the chocolate chips, nuts and cranberries and gently stir together until well blended.
- Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheet, space 2 inches apart, and gently flatten. The cookies will spread.
- Bake 12 minutes. Mine baked exactly 12 minutes - time will depend on your oven.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate and stir in the cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.
- Stir vigorously until everything is well blended - only takes a minute or two.
- Spread on cookie, sprinkle with chopped nuts and then top with the other half of cookie.
- Drizzle some melted white chocolate as garnish over the tops of the cookies if desired.
With the holidays right around the corner, this is any easy recipe to make all through the Holiday Season. Everyone who loves chocolate will love this double chocolate cookie. You do not have to add the nuts for those who have allergies. Just add cranberries or dried cherries for a festive cookie.
You can also be flexible with the cookie filling. Add more or less of the cream cheese and/or marshmallow fluff. There are really no exact measurements, taste as you go and add the ingredients to your preferred tastes.
If you enjoy baking cookies and would like to bake with the Fill The Cookie Jar group, please contact Cynthia at Feeding Big.com.